A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

HP Envy 5532 printer will not print from my desk computer over

Customer Question

HP Envy 5532 printer will not print from my desk computer over wifi or USB although using cmd ping 192.168.1.244 (printer identity) there is a connection between the two. Attaching my laptop with HP software to the same printer and all is well so what can possibly wrong with the desktop one? I've tried uninstalling the HP software and reinstalling the original AND the most up to date drivers and software and still nothing BUT the computer and printer seem to be aware of each other but not happy to print. When I press the print key the printer icon comes up to show a print in progress but then a '0' comes up in the print queue. Help!!!!!!!!!
Category: Networking
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

A. Stevens :

I've seen a specific issue with HP printers during the setup process that causes this issue

A. Stevens :

Not sure if you are experiencing the same, but let's go through your installation process

A. Stevens :

When do you physically connect the USB cable to the printer and computer?

A. Stevens :

There is a specific screen in the setup when you are supposed to attach everything, if you do so before that point nothing will work correctly.

A. Stevens :

Please let me know when you return, so that we can continue working on this question. I will respond as soon as possible when I see your reply.

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

I want the use the printer wireless so that's what I try most to do but when I get the set up option and do want to try USB I stop the wifi, make sure the USB is disconnected and then continue. You get the message to plug in the USB and there is an effort to connect. I know that in wifi mode there is a connection because the ping worked but it's more difficult to tell when trying to connect by USB although the connection seems to finish to the end and say complete. Also when I do a test and prinout on the printer to get a self check all the ok boxes are ticked as ok.

A. Stevens :

Thanks for the info

A. Stevens :

So I'm a bit confused, with the test everything works?

A. Stevens :

Or it still doesn't actually print?

A. Stevens :

Also as far as the wireless goes, are you trying to use WIFI direct? Or are you using a wireless router to connect everything?

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

The test prints out a written sheet or two automatically showing the tests done and doesn't seem highlight any faults. So although the printer prints out that test data (internal action I guess and nothing to do with the computer) it still will not print out anything sent from the computer. I know by the laptop working ok that the desktop computer is at fault but ..........?

A. Stevens :

So the laptop will print? But not the desktop?

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Using a router

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Yes to the laptop query

A. Stevens :

hmm, interesting

A. Stevens :

Are the laptop and desktop both on the same operating system?

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Yes,same O/S and as I said the desktop has been working fine for a couple of years with this printer. I seem to remember (although I'm no expert but you do learn a bit) that some viruses can corrupt or change things in the registry which un and reinstalling doesn't put right?).

A. Stevens :

Yes, this is a possibility.

A. Stevens :

Do you think you might have viruses on your desktop?

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Norton seems to do good job and I've no weird things going on other than this so it's possible that Norton missed something but quickly put it right...ish as far as it could. I don't know really.

A. Stevens :

How long have you had Norton installed?

A. Stevens :

Do you know if you have had anything new installed since the printer stopped working?

A. Stevens :

Trying to see if you may have some firewall issues causing the network printing not to work

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

About 8 years. I played with and without both firewalls (Norton and Microsoft).

A. Stevens :

I see

A. Stevens :

Have you tried rebooting your wireless router by chance?

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Yes several times.

A. Stevens :

Very strange that you can ping but cannot print

A. Stevens :

Is this Win XP or Win 7?

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Win 7. .......I may have to get another printer and give up - quite cheap now but it's so frustrating!

A. Stevens :

I can imagine it is very frustrating.

A. Stevens :

Very odd that the laptop works but the desktop doesn't

A. Stevens :

Here's one thing to try maybe

A. Stevens :

1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator. ...

2. At the command prompt type: netsh winsock reset catalog and press [Enter].

3. Next type: netsh int ip reset reset.log and press [Enter].

A. Stevens :

This will clear/reset some network settings that might be "clogged"

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

OK that might take a few minutes.

A. Stevens :

Yes, you will have to restart after also.

A. Stevens :

But yes if that still does not work..and you've already tried the firewall settings..I'm not sure what else could be wrong.

JACUSTOMER-3y8ikiza- :

Well I got a 'printing' message which I haven't had before and 1 pending print which I could see as the target print but when it went to 0 pending prints it still hadn't printed out. Looks like a new printer then?

A. Stevens, Network Administrator
Experience: 10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for trying. If you have any more ideas I would appreciate them but I'm stumped!

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thanks for a further response. I can wait...I have a laser printer too but I'd like my colour printer back so if you can find anyone who can help then I'd be over the moon. I have a feeling that this is something to do with how the printer uses the register values in the computer so someone who understands how printers might interface with register values and how the correct values might be got back would be good. I know the printer itself is fine and if I gave it to someone else to use to set up on a new computer it will work (it works on my laptop). I'm also pretty sure that if I buy a new one that will work too.......weird but it is something that the HP scan and print diagnostic tool can't find - it says there is nothing wrong with a long printout of diagnostics ticked off as working ok.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Adam R Johnson replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a Senior Network Administrator and Project Manager for a large Internet Service Provider with 20 years experience, and I will be helping you today.
First, I would like to say that I am confident we can get this resolved.
I would like to offer two ways we can go about resolving this issue. The first, we can chat and resolve the issue by me walking you through it step by step. Or Second, I can offer you a one time secure connection, that will allow me to remotely access your PC and fix the computer myself. If you choose the later, please use the following link: https://www.fastsupport.com/140252818
I am awaiting your reply!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

secure connection is ok. Cost?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please reply as I am now on the correct computer to work on rather than the laptop I was using when I asked 'any cost'. This is the effected one.

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Please check this folder on your C: drive of the computer that won't print and delete all files contained therein:

C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

Once the Printers folder is empty please try and send a print job to the printer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry but I was with another guy (***** *****) who contacted me around 8.30pm last night until 1am this morning on my computer and then by joint agreement we agreed that the fault was not easily correctable so we should stop.

Printers are quite cheap now so bought a new one this morning which is working fine. The old printer works ok on my laptop and also on my daughter's laptop so the fault is on my desktop computer but exclusively to that HP Envy machine so that can go to my daughter. I would just like to have known the problem.......by the way I believe Adam tried your solution during the marathon last night to no avail. But many thanks for getting in touch but I don't want to waste your time and my time/money further.

Mike K

Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

No problem. Thanks for the update.

Mike -
Not sure what happened here but I seem to have lost you to another expert...
So at this time you had decided to go with a new printer correct? Can we consider this question resolved?