Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Network Technician
Experience:  Years of experience and education.
30759776

I have a server running Microsoft Server 2008 R2, and on the

Customer Question

I have a server running Microsoft Server 2008 R2, and on the same network a laptop and a PC. The server is connected to the Internet, as are the two other machines, plus a networked printer.
What is the best configuration of the network in order to minimise CPU usage on the Laptop and PC (both running Windows 7), and maximising the benefit of the server to the network?
Also, everytime the router re-boots, the printer goes offline, the machines can't see it, and I have to go back into each machine and "add printer" by IP address.
The router distributes the addresses.
Many thanks,
Category: Networking
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.
My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today. The question as to what is the best configuration of the network to minimize cpu usage on the laptop and pc is a bit difficult to answer without knowing much more about your network. Typically, the default setup for the server and clients result in the situation you are in search of, which is the least amount of CPU usage on the clients and maximizing the benefits of the server. Regarding the printer losing it's connection to the computers, you can fix this by simply assigning the printer a static IP address manually or by adding it's dhcp lease in the server. Assigning a static IP address manually on the printer would be the quickest and best choice. Now if the server dishes out new IP addresses, it will not affect the printer at all.
I look forward to your next message or your rating below.
Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.
Thank you again,
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jason,

I normally access the server from Teamviewer, and control the server via the PC and Screen.

How would you propose accessing the server for your own additional work?

Regards,

Keith

Hello Keith,
TeamViewer is a good choice for facilitating any required remote work. Personally, I prefer ScreenConnect over TeamViewer due to the fact that it is a lot faster, more reliable, and gives me more abilities remotely. Information regarding ScreenConnect can be found on their page here: https://www.screenconnect.com/
-Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jason,

i've set up screen connect on the server, pc and laptop ...

Hello Keith,
Thank you for the update.
As of right now, do you require any further assistance? If so, may I ask how I can be of assistance?
-Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have paid JustAnswer for your additional advice and to setup the server ...

Please, run the remote link below on the server.
Please, click the following link and choose to run the remote application: http://74.208.221.55/?Session=34284bd7-1149-409e-985c-8e9fe0af5d16
All is now working.
Thank you for your time.
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are super welcome, Keith.
Thank you for your time, the chance to work with you, and for the update.
I am a member of all computer, networking, and cell phone categories. If you ever need anything else, please let me know.
I'm online most hours of the day and only a brief time away.
-Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't rate as the "faces" aren't showing?

Hello Keith,
Don't worry about that. It looks like a rating of 'Excellent' has already been marked.
Thank you for checking up on that.
-Jason