Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 10 years experience designing and maintaining computer network circuits and systems.
76287196

Buffalo link station ls-ws500gl/r1 NAS attached to router

Buffalo link station ls-ws500gl/r1 NAS attached to router along with 3 networked computers. Contains critical current and historical data - reformatting not an option. Accessible by all 3 computers via mapped shares UNTIL YESTERDAY AM. Now inaccessible by any computer. Navigation software not picking up NAS from network. All connections checked and alternative router inputs tried. HELP!!! Can't work without access to data. Terrified of consequences of loss of data. Last off-system backup 28/11/14.

Additional:   Error message when trying to reconnect: An error occurred while reconnecting to \\Ls-wsgl8d6\data    MS Windows network: The network path was not found.   The connection has not been restored.

Category: Networking
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

What is the navigation software to which you are referring, and what software is giving you the error message? Is it your Firefox browser?

JoelK :

Have you restarted your NAS device?

Customer:

Seems kike we have a time difference to deal with!NAS Navigator 2 is the software that gives access to the NAS itself, configuration, amendment, etc. Essentially, I've only ever used it once to set up the drive on the network.

Customer:

No, it's not Firefox giving me the error message but Windows when I try to connect to the NAS drive over the network.

Customer:

I've also tried to access the NAS from my PC but it's not showing there either.

Customer:

I've tried NAS Navigator which scans the network for the NAS drive but that isn't finding it either.

Customer:

I've restarted the NAS several times but that's made no difference.

Customer:

Having thought about ths all night, I've concluded that the likeliest reason I can't see the NAS is that, for reasons unknown, there's nothing to see, eg, the NAS has reformatted itself and, in the process, wiped the drives (2 Raid mirrored drives). I suspect that if I reinstall the NAS using NAS Navigator it will reappear - but free of all stored data.

JoelK :

I do not think that the NAS reformatted itself. Let's say that it did, for sake of argument. You would still be able to see it. You would see the root without any files.

JoelK :

Yes, there is an 8 hour time difference, but I can usually work around that. I have been staying up very late though researching network issues.

JoelK :

You need to completely uninstall all NAS Navigator software and reinstall it in the wireless same configuration that you have been using. There is no risk of losing data from this procedure. It only affects the software, not the data. Please let me know what happens...

Customer:

I removed the Navigator software as you suggested, only to discover that Buffalo software that I originally used - on the same computer - would no longer operate under Windows 7. After several conversations with Buffalo support, I received instructions - bloody unclear ones! - on how to obtain the latest software, install it and then locate the NAS on the network. Only then did I realise that the NAS was clicking, suggesting that at least one of the two drives was failing or had already failed. I've since taken the NAS to my local computer guy to see if he can recover the missing data from what I hope and pray will be the undamaged list......and ordered a new NAS.

Customer:

I need to explain why I have rated your service poor.

Customer:

Firstly, despite having asked for an urgent response, response time has been an issue, due primarily to me being in the UK and you in Western USA (mountain time?) - this is not your fault but, I'm unhappy with Just Answer taking a higher price for a more rapid response and have nowhere else I can see to express my dissatisfaction. at higher cost, I believe that your inital response in which you asked two simple addtional questions, was slow in arriving. I responded to those questions as soon as I arrived at work.

Customer:

(Sorry, the last two sentences of the previous paragraph should have been deleted).

Customer:

Secondly, the resolution of the problem up to the stage of discovery of a faulty disc in the NAS was it seems to me what the sort of straight forward response I might have expected earlier, if only to reduce the lengthy period of uncertainty over data recovery.

Customer:

I've followed your advice, uninstalling Navigator and then, with the assistance of Buffalo, downloading the latest install version. Although I managed to get Navigator installed, it still couldn't find the NAS. Again with Buffalo's assistance, I tried to reset the NAS hardware, only to then notice the NAS clicking, eventually realising that this was a sign of a failing or failed hard drive. The NAS is now with a local guy who is going to attempt to recover the data on what I hope is the one mirrored drive still working that I will then install on the new NAS drive that I ordered this afternoon.

Customer:

All I can do now is wait to see how the data recovery goes and, assuming it succeeds, get the data on to the new NAS.

Customer:

I'll close the case when I've finished this post. I can't pretend that I'm altogether happy with our brief engagement. Because I'm feeling rather overwhelmed by the implications of losing the data, which event would very probably force me out of business, I've been disappointed by the implications of the time difference in terms of response times. That's neither your nor my fault but, having asked for a rapid response, I'm pissed off with Just Answers for taking an urgent request filed on their UK website and passing it around the world where a rapid reponse simply could not be possible. Also, the thing that worked, uninstalling and reinstalling the Navigator software, seems to me to be what I'd term a straightforward response, that I might have tried yesterday and saved myself 24 hours of additional paranoia.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The first 5 paragraphs of my latest response should be ignored. They were rewritten in the following 3 paragraphs because, when I checked what had been sent, those first 5 paragraphs appeared not to have been saved.

Also, I had calmed down somewhat when I wrote the last 3 paragraphs and so apologise if I upset you when my concern spilt over into a poor choice of words in the first 5, now superceded, paragraphs.

Nick -

Okay. Thank you for the feedback. I will use your response to improve my service. Instead of asking whether you had restarted your NAS, I should have sim;ly directed you to restart your device and then uninstall the software if that did not work. That would have saved a lot of time and frustration. I apologize for not being more assertive. Thank you for upgrading my rating.

Nick -

I am grateful for the opportunity to be of service. I am glad that I was able to assist you in finding the best solution to your technical problem.

If you have any hardware problems in the future where I can be of assistance, please return to Just Answer and ask for me by name. Thank you.

- Joel