p0llinate
p0llinate, Consultant
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Trying to link my Samsung 7 series to WI FI from Apple Time

Customer Question

Trying to link my Samsung 7 series to WI FI from Apple Time capsule. Panasonic in lounge OK. Sony in kitchen OK, iPads link when in family room but not the samsung. In auto it gets the MAC address and IP address but nothing more.

Category: Networking
Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.
My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
Can you give me the full model number of the tv please?
How far is it from the router?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's the 55 inch Series 7 UHDTV, the 4K version.

It's about 25 yes from Router and Apple Time Capsule.Since sending my question, the TV has now found the network with Automatic accessing of IP address etc. But now gives following message. "connected to local network but cannot connect to internet. Check the DNS settings in IP Settings or contact your ISP.

I don't know how to find another DNS number.

Like you, I think, I suspect the TV is too far from Apple Time Capsule. Somehow I have to improve the strength of WI FI signal without knocking down two walls between the rooms!!

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.25yds is a bit far, so boosting the signal would be helpful here.The best option would be a wired ethernet cable from the router to the tv, but that is often not practical.The next best option is to simulate a wired connection, with a powerline ethernet adapter: http://amzn.to/1Bni8Ev If you want to keep trying with it as is, try entering 8.8.8.8 as the dns and see if you can get it to work that way. If it does, but the connection cuts out frequently or is slow and buffering a lot, then move on to the adapter I mentioned. Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I believe Powerline has to be on same ring main. Our family room is on one fuse in fuse box while Time Capsule in study is on a separate fuse but in same fuse box. does this mean it's on the same ring main?

Expert:  p0llinate replied 2 years ago.
It is always helpful if they are on the same circuit, it will give better signal quality. Since you are on a 220 system though you don't have to worry about different phases like we do in the US. So long as they are tied to the same box, you should have no issues. It may be slightly slower speed, but is still far much quicker than wifi will ever be.