Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have a Kindle 4.1.2(###) ###-#### ***** has stopped connecting

I have a Kindle 4.1.2(###) ###-#### ***** has stopped connecting to the internet.
Wireless is working and connection process seems to work, however after password ***** it fails to connect. I have checked the wireless & Internet with other devices & all worked OK & I have also verified the password ***** correct.
I have tried connecting to another wireless router but it will not get past Wi-Fi Networks in settings - pressed enter but nothing happens. Enter works on all other functions.
Memory if OK & I have run a diagnostics but everything came up OK
Mike
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and turn on the Kindle and try to connect to the wifi network.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard

Still no change

Mike

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me the make and model if your wifi router please Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I am at work so do not have that info to hand

I know the wireless is working as I am connected to it on my phone

Mike

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thats not always the case Mike, it can be a corrupted dhcp lease on the router, the router is blocking the kindle and a whole host of other reasons which without access to the router we can never know.
only other thing we can do is reset the Kindle which will return it to new, to rile out the Kindle as the cause of this. Until you connect again to wifi and register it, you will not be able to access your books.
To do the reset, Go Menu/Settings/ press menu then Reset to factory defaults.
Let this complete and tell me if when setting it up it can not connect to the wireless please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It might be better if I do this at home, that way I can back up the kindle first & I know it has accessed the internet via the router there, plus I can give you all the details of the router etc..

It will take me about 20 - 30 minutes to get home. Will you still be on line? I can access this website via my laptop when at home.

Mike

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I will still be online Mike, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK fingers crossed I will get back to you in 20 - 30 mins

Mike

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard

Just got in router is Virginmedia SuperHub 2

Netgear 2.4GHz

SSID VM314861-2G

Mike

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike
On the back of the virgin is a reset button.
Using a paperclip, hold the reset button in for 10 seconds, then release.
Then Remove the charger from the Kindle and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and turn on the Kindle and try to connect.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still no change

Does not even show available networks now

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We need to do the reset then Mike, its the kindle at fault.
o do the reset, Go Menu/Settings/ press menu then Reset to factory defaults.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tried this several times to be sure, but it does not appear to have worked.

Nothing appears to happen after I hit OK on Reset Factory Settings

Restarted & turned the kindle off but still no networks showing. Rebooted still no change

Mike

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike, it confirms the problem
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the recovery window, confirms it is the memory that shorts out, and causes the device to stall. This is also why it cannot connect to the wifi network or even list them.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Kindle to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The kindle is 4 years old so out of warranty

Looks like we have to buy a new one : - (

What normally causes a fault like this?

Thanks for your help anyway

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It just happens after time, the memory is written to and read so many times it loses the ability to maintain the charge (needed to remember) and then starts to fault like this.
4 years was good use from this.
Richard, Network Architect
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.