WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  CCNA, 11+ years in the IT field
21171802

Can you help me figure out why my internet is so slow ?

Customer Question

can you help me figure out why my internet is so slow ?
Category: Networking
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Let's verify with your network provider first. What company provides your Internet connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SkyDSL provide it, I am supposed to get 12 Mbsp download speed.

They say all they can do is ask their satellite provider, my line quality is supposedly good, the satellite provider says there are no problems. It seems that SkyDSL have no technical capability to look at my computer and check if there are any obvious issues, 1st they tried to blame my router, but I have removed that from the network. I think they may be lying to me, but anyway my internet is virtually unusable. If I unplug the and replug the modem, I tend to get instant improvement in speed, but it quickly slows down again. They say my useage is not being limited or throttled in any way.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Let's check your speed. Please go to Google.com and type "whats my IP" and search for that.It should respond back with your IP address. Please let me know what that is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is

37.247.87.255

pls note I am having a real problem using this service, I am using internet explorer but every time I message you it seems to crash :-(

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to hear that. The best place to start is to make sure your system is optimized for your connection.Download this free trial software for Tune Up Utilities and install it. Then run the One-Click maintenance option. This will recommend the best settings for your system and make changes. I've used it and it sped up my Internet connection and improved my PC performance.Accept all recommended changes and then reboot your computer. Then test your Internet Speed.Download the free trial here http://www.tune-up.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wes, I will try this but it looks like it takes 1 hr. Do you really think this can solve my problem ?

Can I pls ask some other questions;

1. will heat slow down satellite broadband, it is 32 degrees Celsius here ?

2. will running the connection through a router and then out to wireless slow down the connection also ?

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
It will improve your speed if your computer is slowing down the connection. It will also determine what your optimal speed should be.Heat will now slow it down, however, using satellite the important thing is line of sight. In other words, nothing is blocking the signal such as trees or bad weather with heavy clouds. The signal should be strong to start with to get optimal strength. If possible, get the technician to check the line of sight and angle the satellite correctly. I would not take any less than 90% signal strength.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Running through a router, then wireless is okay to do. There is very little latency between the router and the wireless signal unless you are more than 100ft from the router.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.
Please rate my answer based on your satisfaction. THanks