Russell H.
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

I use a Samsung i5243 office ip phone & have a problem

Customer Question

I use a Samsung i5243 office ip phone & have a problem with one of the phones.
There is no voice sound from either the handset or the speaker once the call is answered, this is at both ends of the call. The handset is working as I've tried a different one & the timing or dial tone is there when it should be.
Mute isn't on, any ideas.
Steve
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Your account is not quite clear: did you swap out just the handset and find that it works OK? if so, the handset is defective. If you swapped the handset part of the IP phone out to another phone station on another line - then that means the rest of the phone, either the base part of it, or the connection/cable/etc. itself, is defective. Was this phone (and its line) working previously? if not, if this is a first install, that changes matters, and means that the line may be no good, or a port may not be opened for the IP that the phone is on. If the phone was indeed working previously, then check the cable, from the IP phone to the router of course, all along its length for any possible damage, and then check whether swapping the port that cable is on, on the router, cures the problem for that particular phone. And make sure the cable to the phone is securely seated in the router port, by removing it and installing it again. And also check the cable at the end where it plugs into the IP phone. Note: if the clip has broken off the phone cable's end (or, both ends perhaps), it will tend to slide out of the socket, breaking the connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiThanks for your reply, I've sorted the issue by doing a factory reset on the handset and then resetting the handset up. I'm guessing someone had entered a code on the phone or clicked a button to cause the issue, as after the factory reset the handset is working fine again.I'd eliminated that it may be a problem with the network by trying another handset at the point of termination & by the fact the phone would ring & you got a dial tone/ring tone. There was just no voice working once they'd answered it.Thanks for trying anyway.
Steve
You're welcome Steve. I'm glad to hear that the problem has been solved, by whatever means. Please rate my Answer - or Reply telling me what rating you would wish to apply to my work. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HiYour answer was fine but wouldn't have solved the problem unfortunately. I'd rather not give a rating as it would be low because of this, but I don't think that it would be fair to give you that with the issue already being solved you didn't get a chance to resolve things. It would have needed a specialist with that model of phone opposed to a network specialist I think.Thanks
Steve
That's a good response, I think.
Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. I hope your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.