Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

Youview cannot connect to router - tried swiching router off

youview cannot connect to router - tried swiching router off the back on
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the make and model of your router.
And has this worked before and just stopped working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

TalkTalk. Has worked before and stopped working about 1 month ago but I ignored the requests to go to support.youview as I thought the problem would solve itself

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Roger.
On the back of the router is a reset button. You may need to use a paperclip and with the router on, push and hold in the reset button for 10 seconds, then release.
Then wait 5 minutes, power off the youview, then power it on and tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pressed the reset button as Richard suggested but my TV still says it cannot connect to the router. In view of failure I wish to cancel contact with you and ask you to credit my a/c with the £18 you have deducted.

I expect you top reply confirming you will do as I ask.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
hgello
That was the first step and only a day later you come back and give me a bad rating indicating I hvae been rude to you in some way, without actually telling me the results so we can move forward
With respect, negative ratings only hurt experts here by reflecting negatively and can keep us from assisting other customers. They should be used for when an expert is rude or the information provided was wrong. While youay not like the answer I provided, it was correct, and I stand by it. If you need clarification or additional information about my answer I will be happy to provide it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry if you thought that I thought you were rude - you were not rude and the solution you suggested has not worked. Perhaps I need a new router or a replacement youview box. What do you think? If we cannot sort this out I will still ask for my connection with justanswer be terminated and the £18 refunded, Have you any other suggestions so we can change your rating ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Roger,
We still have steps to do
I now want you to reset your Youview box please.
Press the YouView button on your remote.
Select Settings.
Select Device Management.
Select Reset YouView Box.
Select Reset.
Let this complete, setup the box and tell me if it now connects please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I select settings on my youview remote - there is no button saying settings

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any progress on my question yesterday?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi Roger,
That was part of my instructions. You need to press first the YouView button on your remote.
Select Settings.
Select Device Management.
Select Reset YouView Box.
Select Reset.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As you have probably realised I am a bit thick electronically but I have carried out the instruction you gave and youview is connecting to the router and the internet. This has been going on for 1 hour now and only 2 bars are lit so far out of 4. Should it take this long? Do I need to do anything else? P.S. I unreservedly withdraw my previous rating.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your doing well Roger.
The only way to remove the poor rating of me is to rate again with a more positive one.
Can you power off the Youview.
Then again on the back of the router, hold the reset button in for 10 seconds then release.
Then power on the Youview box again and tell me if it now connects please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have followed your instruction and youview is finding my router and has been doing this for 9 minutes. I have to go out at 1.30 & if it is still looking I will have to switch off TV and try ad

gain later.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the internal memory in the youview that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you would consider changing your poor rating of me that was previously made with a more positive rating, that would be appreciated or tell me please what I would further need to do to have the complaint about me withdrawn.