s_feehan
s_feehan, PC Technician
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting
69400341

I have a Toshiba lap top - Windows 7. I am unable to connect

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba lap top - Windows 7. I am unable to connect to the Internet or Wireless printer via my router. I am able to use my iPad for both these things so I know it's not the router. I have also spoken to my internet provider Talktalk & having gone through all the tests & technical help the fault is clearly not with them. They have advised me to contact yourselves. Can you please help?
Category: Networking
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
Hello I'd like to try to help.. Do you have the exact model of the Toshiba? When did the problem start happening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
C660/C660D
Months ago - just kept putting off getting it sorted as I can still use my iPad.
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. So can you physically inspect your laptop and see if there is a wireless switch or button anywhere on there ?? It may have the wireless radio icon, and sometimes a light, orange if it's disabled, or blue if it's on. That one may also have a Function (FN) key and F8... Can you try pressing those two?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you rec'd my reply
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
I have, sorry, I'm juggling three others ! :) Did you try Fn + F8 and see if your wireless radio came back on and connected to your network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that but to no avail. My laptop actually shows the network connection is connected & available but will not allow access to the Internet or the printer via the router.
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
That actually is REALLY helpful.. Do you presently have Norton or McAfee installed? Or Kaspersky?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes mcAfee
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
Those three anti viruses I've mentioned have sometimes caused networks to lock up. Would like to know if you have another computer and a flash drive? I want you to download some software on to a flash drive, and take it to your Toshiba and install and run them there...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only have an iPad & don't think I have a flash drive - if I have I didn't know I had it!
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm.. any blank cd's or dvd's?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have blank cds
Expert:  s_feehan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the problem we're at now is we need another computer to download the software on to the disc... Do you have a friend? Public computer? something we can do ??? is it possible to plug your toshiba in to the router with an ethernet cable? then we could download and diagnose directly... I could even do a remote session with you on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the Ethernet cable yellow? If so I have one & yes I could connect to routerI have not had a response to the above - am I to expect one - I need to go out for half an hour to pick someone up. If there is no reply by 5 I will assume the session is over & I will claim my money back.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What has happened - not heard back from you