Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

Streaming music from my Windows 7 pc to my Sony Bravia TV/Sound

Streaming music from my Windows 7 pc to my Sony Bravia TV/Sound bar
Sony have not been very helpful and have just referred me to their manuals which have not given the answer!
Will you be able to help?
The position so far is:
There are 2 issues as I see it:
1 to set up my pc to stream music to my TV
– you may be able to help so that my TV will recognise my PC/Windows as a source
2 to set up my TV to link to & receive the music
– this may not be your area and I may need to sort this with Sony
Background
I have Windows 7 Home Premium with Media Player 12 and a wireless router. My TV is picking up the router/internet connection
PC settings so far
I have tried setting my Windows Media to stream Music
BUT my PC is not showing my TV as a device
TV Settings
I have connected the TV to my Internet network
BUT my TV is not showing my Windows PC as a media option
My aim
To be able to sit by by TV/Soundbar and click on my Windows Media connection and select and play music from my TV room!!!
Can you help?
Tony
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the model of the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sony Bravia KDL 32W705C
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Is the TV connected to your wifi network?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Select [All Apps] → [Media Player] → [Photo], [Music] or [Video] →
Do you then see your computer listed? If not what is listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - nothing is listed - Media player list is blank as I recall - but just wait a minute, I will just go downstairs and double check! I can see I will be doing a lot of running up and downstairs! It will keep me fit - back in a minute
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if its not then you need to Enable the DLNA Media Server Built Into Windows
Follow the instructions here to do this and then the TV should then see it
http://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may take me a minute or two!Bear with me12
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no problem, most important is you take your time and do the instructions correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay - I clicked on the linke you supploed and I have web pages all over thge place! It saysopen Control Panel; & select media but i cannot see a media option - is that in a seperate folder??
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, you search for it as it indicates in the guide.
This is why it is very important you take the time to carefully read the guide I gave you please, and then carry out the instructions
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the offer for the remote but not just yet!AS I may need to spend time between answer and questions, would E Mail be simpler? Or can I contiunue this dialogue later if I can talk via my lap top leaving my PC free to try pout what uyou suggest?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
we have to continue here on this site.
But I ask again please to take the time and carefully follow the instructions in the guide please, its critical its done.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK It is difficult to read the link you gave me and to continue the conversation. I will call the link up on my lap top to read the instructioins from there as my pc screen is getting clogged up! Back in a minute - sorry this is taking so long!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok no problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - one of those days - PC has decided to go slow! Ik I haver the lap top with the lini you gave me open - I have reduced our sialogue screen so |I have my Contol panel open next to it - so lets go! I cannot see a "Media!" on my Control Panel. Is it in one of the folders?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The link I gave you shows you step by step with the screen shots of how to do this.... its the easiest way for you to follow the instructions.
What is the issue you have following it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - I did not read on - yes, it is in one of the folders! I will just try it!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is simple! My screen is not as in the image but I have eventually found the turn streaming on option and have done so..
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you may have an older version of windows, but complete the instructions then try the TV and it should now see it
On TV
Select [All Apps] → [Media Player] → [Photo], [Music] or [Video] →
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - this is my problem! I have done this before ie turned the streaming on but when I go to the TV the option in "Medfia Server" (not Media Player as you suggest), nothing is listed - just a message "Available when device is connected".
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
so the instructions you had difficulties doing before you actually already did?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, as I said, when I go to Control Panel, there is no a "Media" Option but there is a "Network & Sharing Center" and in that there is "Stream my music etc " and when I click that there is an option "Turn on media streaming!, which I have done and, as in the past, I had hoped to see this in the "Media Server" on the TV but no luck then or now - this is my problem!"There is mention of a firewall in the Windows notes? Could this be part of the problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I cannot be confident the instructions are being done right, and I fear this is not the case based on the feedback I have.
I have offered to do this for you, please let me know if you accept or decline this as if you decline then it is best I opt out of working on this further to avoid wasting your time.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I'll go for it!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have downloaded - do I need now to go to the download and install it?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is taking its time! I will let you know when it is compltete!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope I have done this right!ID 267-678-555
Password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you did, but it is giving an error, probably all the messing around to try to fix this.
Restart the computer, run Teamviewer again and give me the new password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh what fun!If I close the computer - how will I connect to you again to give you the password?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you just return here please and post it as you did before, I will be here waiting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I mean is, if I switch off & restart my computer, how to I get back to this conversation on your web site?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you return to this webpage, so you can press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites, or check your emails for a link back here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - here goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Funny things are happening with my computer! But I am back! I am uninstalling and then reinstalling Team Viewer. When done I will come back to you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right - I have installed again - it gives an ID 267 678 555 Password *****
On the screen it asks for Partners ID, Do I need to complete this and of so what do I insert?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connecting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - no luck! I have also tried the other solutions - hitting it, swearing at it - but that has not worked either!I have taken up enough of your time - I will have to call the TV people in to try to sort it out on site!Thank you for your time and patience and I am sorry we could not sort it.Very best wishes,Tony