adamd-mod
adamd-mod, CCIE
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I need advice from someone who provides network

Customer Question

Hi.I need advice from someone who provides network support (Windows Servers, Routers, Switches, Backup monitoring, etc etc) on how much I should charge for annual support.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.I worked in Network Support (in a NOC) and in order to determine what a good price would be to CHARGE a client for an annual contract, i would need to know MORE about what servics are included in the contract?.Also, what is your TARGET MARKET? Is it residential? Is it very small business? Large enterprises?.Also, are you a 1 man show? Or do you have employees?.How well known are YOU, and YOUR services?.These all play together, to determine an accurate Market VALUE, and therefore Price to client.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Mainly me (But also a couple of temps from time to time)I provide End to End Support i.e. Servers, Virtual Machines, PC's OS Support, App installs & upgrades, Viruses, Email (Google Apps for Work), Printers etc etc Just about everything Windows Upgrades, Backup Monitoring and verification and the usual Break-Fix support (except Telephone systems).I guess what I need to know what would I expect to charge for annual support -8 hour response,
5 Days per week for all of the above in an Office with 15 Win 7 PC's, Cabling, UPS, 1 Windows Dell T420 Physical Server 2012 R2 Raid 10, with one Hyper-V Install, 3 HP4250n Printers Draytek 2860n Router, 24 Port Draytek Switch, Dell UPS.I have worked the clients for years but always on an ad hoc basis.
The way we did it was PER MACHINE..So it was X amount, Per Year/Per Machine. And each machine is different. Servers get X amount, while user machines get a Y amount..YOu will want to basically sell them a MAINTENANCE contract, that ALSO includes Break-Fix support on a 8Hr response 5/days/week, as an ADDITIONAL service, and you will just take the WHOLE maintenance contract and cut it in half and THAT would be the Break/Fix portion..So as an example, lets say servers are 300/year for each server, and then a user machine is 200/year.Office has 5 servers and 10 user machines, so it would be 1500/year for servers, and 2000/year for the user machines, (3500 total). So half that is 1750, and you add that to the 3500, for a total of $5250/year for a total protection..Now, what we did was go ONSITE once a month, and do a wellness check on EVERY machine, inform them if they needed to replace anythign, and perform routine maintenance. Cleaning the inside of a machine, and anythign that could NOT be put onto a schedule and scrpited to run..Doea all that help?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for that.I assume you are in the US as you have stated Dollars in you answer. I guess what I need is an answer from someone based in the UK which is where I am.Thanks again
Oh....computers are NO different in the UK.....they use the SAME hardware, the same software......the same network....the same internet......same servers.....same everything.US created computers.....and the internet as we know it..The only difference i would change in my statements, would be a dollar to pound conversion. I suppose maybe some etiquette would be a bit different, and maybe some verbiage related to the country, but nothing technical will change. I can assure you this..In the IT industry, when a technician gets certified, he is certified WORLDWIDE, wether it be a Neutral party, or market based company. The certifications allow for worldwide recognition.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand that the technical aspects are the same.What I am saying is I need to get a accurate idea of what I should charge in the UK. Simply converting Dollars to Sterling won't be accurate.I believe in reality this can only be provided by someone competing and having knowledge in the UK Market
Eh, you do have a point....and i understand your concern. Location CAN and usually DOES effect the price..In an Urban metropolis prices would be fairly market, due to the close proximity of their competition..However in a Rural area, tech's can charge MORE, as there is less competition for a client to choose from..Supply and Demand 101..Your question is not so much about the prices in general, but more about determining YOUR LOCATION's market value. YES?
Heres a real simple way to determine your competition..Cal them up, and act as a potential client.....and make up a fake company name, and all the computer and server info..Basically get a run down on your competition, by posing as a client, and inferring that you will need some estimates.
When i had my OWN business (years ago) that is the EXACT process i used to mark my prices.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I wouldn't feel right lying.
I understand.....it was hard for me to do it too...thats why i paid somebody else to do it for me, and take notes..Just my 2 cents..Anyways, Im guessing this was an UNsatisfactory answer, and i assume you will not be rating me, which in turn does not compensate me..So, i only ask, that if you are NOT satisfied and not wanting to pay for this answer, that you just NOT rate at all. Rather than giving a Low rating.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do. Thanks for your time.
Happy Holidays!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You too!!
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 11 months ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam