Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I am trying set up a home network, my modem and base router

I am trying set up a home network, my modem and base router are supplied by Plus Net, but the router at the end of my network cable is a Netgear router.
I have followed many online guides and have successfully connected it all together and the wifi can be found by my iphone and ipad etc, however after initial connection the wifi appears to stop working.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please exactly what happens when the wifi stops working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pages stop loading. The Wifi can still be found but it doesn't actually work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it sounds like you have both routers set up as routers, when only your main plus net one should be and the netgear needs to act as an access point.
To do this, you connect the netgear to the plusnet via one of the LAN ports on the Netgear, the Interet / WAN port remains unconnected
Then change the ip address of the netgear to be within the same range as the main plusnet router. So if your plus net router has a ip of 192.168.1.1 then set the ip of the netgear as 192.168.1.101
If your not sure the IP, click start, type in CMD and press enter
Type in ipconfig and press enter and the default gateway listed is te IP.
Then on the netgear, disable the DHCP server and it should then functoin as an access point.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep, I did try that I got the response that the IP address did not exsist. I'll give it another go.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to do it while your connected to the main router and have internet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, ill try again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using a Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
for mac, use these instructions please
http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/21/find-ip-address-mac/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the Plus router IP address is 192.168.1.254, just try to remember the address to get into Netgear setup to change that IP address
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, set the NEtgears LAN as 192.168.1.253
And its subnet as 255.255.255.0
Its gateway as 192.168.1.254
Save this and remember to DISABLE DHCP and to connect it to the plus net via the LAN port, NOT the Internet Port.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cant get into Netgear admin at the moment, might have to restore factory settings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, still no access going to reset netgear
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do that to undo everything you did (hold reset button for 10 seconds)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay but I am getting 'this webpage is not available' when I type in 192.168.1.1 so I am trying another reset
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stupid question, as I have forgotton what I did last time, should I have the netgear router plugged into my laptop or should I be able to do this over the current wifi?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The wifi will also reset, you need to connect to it via the laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I am connected to the Plus net router via the laptop, is that correct or should I be connect directly to the netgear router?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
netgear, as your trying to access the netgear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok just to check, I'll need to take the ethernet cable out of the back of the Plus net router to attach that to my computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really sorry for delay, I have to be honest, I am trying to relay this info to my wife over skype as we are in two different countries. I failed to set it up before I left :(
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, let me know how you go please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to help here find the subnet and gateway in the admin page, but we are not having much joy at the moment
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its directly under where you put the IP address.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found everything except gateway and on applying Lan IP and Subnet we get the message "please change your computer IP address manually if LAN IP subnet will be changed"
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes thats a normal message, leave the gateway for now and tell me if its now functionig.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we will give it a test
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it is working, so far so good. I have been this far before though. How do I check that it will stay connected.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you did it exactly as I said it will stay working.
Before you had it set up wrong, and had two routers connecting, now we have set it up as an access point instead, which is how its meant to be.
But any issues let me know here.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** successfully connect to Netgear, however when we switched to plus net and back to netgear it did not work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
sorry I do not know what you mean by switching from plus net and back to netgear...
How and Why are you doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the same as before.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
before you said it just stopped working....
What is it your now exactly doing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK we connected to netgear after you helped us set it up. Then we went out of range of netgear and connected to plusnet, successfully using the internet over wifi using plusnet. Next we went out of range of plus net and attempted to connect to netgear again (sat right next to the router) but although the phone can see the netgear it will not connect to it
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If your going to keep disconnecting and reconnecting to different networks your going to get IP issues with the computer having to keep changing the settings... What your now talking about is needing a wireless extender... not an access point
If you reconnect then restart the computer to get it to update the settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ahhh ok, so you want me to connect the computer to the netgear router again via the usb cable?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no, If you reconnect then restart the computer to get it to update the settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been accessing the different wifis using my phone, not the computer. so do you want me to reconnect to the plus net wifi and restart my phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, restart what ever device it is with the problem, when you disconnect and reconnect to the wifi.
And you now say you, but I thought you were conveying this over skype to someone else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is my wife at the other end, but it is just quicker for me to say 'me' rather than 'my wife'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone restarted, and no connection with netgear
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
whats the message when you try to connect to netgear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no message it is just going the apple version of the egg timer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when we look at the information about the netgear network on the phone it gives an IP address of 169.254.57.129
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
when trying to connect to the wifi network?
Please give as much detail as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Using an the same iphone that connected successfully to Netgear earlier and then again to Plusnet, after trying unsuccessfully to reconnect to Netgear we switched the iphone off and back on again. After some period of time we are now, once again, connected to netgear.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, on iPhone go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings.
Then try again, though its not really made to be switching between networks so quickly so its best to avoid this or as I mentioned before, use a wireless extender as opposed to an access point as then your not really switching networks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, can we use the netgear as a wireless extender? The problem we have is that the walls in our house are about a foot and a half thick (it is over a couple of hundred years old) and therefore one router is not sufficient.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, only as an access point, but if you minimise switching between the two networks it will be ok. Its the iPhone thats having the issue updating so fast, not the netgear.
But do the last instructions I sent and see if that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, can I try one last test please. My daughter has a tv in her room that connects to the internet (via wifi) and when I tried to set up the network it connected to Netgear ok, but after switching off the tv for a while and then trying again it would not connect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV says cant connect to network
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, power off the netgear, wait 5 minutes, power it on again and check if it then connects.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, back in 5
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.ok
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
how did it go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, TV has now connected. It did when I tried too, it was latterly that it lost connection.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, may have been firmware issues with the netgear, which would have been resolved when we reset it, or the network card on the TV is faulty or the netgear, though so far the netgear has been operating as we would expect.
but If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So as I understand it, going from one wifi (plus net) to the other (netgear) causes the device (iphone, ipad, laptop) to have IP address issues. These issues will sort themselves out over a period of time (5 mins/10 mins?) or by restarting the device or via a settings, general, reset, network reset. Is that correct?I have attempted to use a wireless extender before, in the form of a plug in extender but I have no had much success.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct, ass everytime you switch networks, the devices need to change IP's and if you do it constantly it can cause issues and needs some time to update.
Its why they made a wireless extender as this is avoided.
But if she just waits it will sort out.
or better yet the network reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** rate your service now, take care, good bye.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
let me know if any issues arise please.
Richard, Network Architect
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking