Russell H.
Russell H., Internet and LAN
Experience:  11 years work with Internet/IP, routers, networks, servers
13568747

There. My Pioneer VSX-923 has no MAC address and can't

Customer Question

hi there.
My Pioneer VSX-923 has no MAC address and can't no longer be found by my PC or other devices on the Net. It's Air Play does partially works, and now also subwoofer sometimes playing, sometimes does not.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the Pioneer device cannot connect by AirPlay or wireless, then of course its MAC Address cannot be sensed at the other end. (But it, strictly speaking, still *has* a MAC Address... they are built-in to devices, in a way that means they cannot lose them... not easily anyway.) It sounds as if you might have a problem with eitherA. interference, or radio spectrum noise, that cuts off the connection intermittently.orB. defective wireless hardware, that cannot maintain the connection reliably.orC. something else, such as other devices on the wireless connection channel, or frequency, etc. Wireless noise and interference can come from a frequently used microwave oven(s), or else from cordless phones in the vicinity, or large electrical engines and/or generators nearby, etc. Some toys (called 'slot cars') can also generate a lot of noise when they are not far away, owing to their having electric motors in them with brushes that spark and produce radio noise. How old is your Pioneer device? measured from date of purchase. Did it ever work reliably in the past? if so, then how recently did the problem arise?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was working reliably, Russel, I was very happy with it. Just to mention, that it's not wireless connection, but good old wired LAN. I havent changed anything in my complicated home network, nothing added, nothing is taken away. Suddenly about a month ago I was unable to connect to my amp by mobile remote control, it simply can't see the amp on the net. EVen if I give it's local IP to the app, connection is still not made. All other devices are working as they should. Connections have been checked like a thousands of times.. And strangely, it working PARTIALLY. It can be contacted through HDMI interface still, so if I'm for example playing something to my TV, I can get a proper sound (minus woofer, which as I mentioned also stopped working TIME TO TIME.. Itunes can see VSX-923 but can't connect to it..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Did a router's or hub's firmware get updated? Did a router or hub get reset? (- these both, about the time the lack of connection to the amp was noted.) If so, then a firewall setting or port-forward setting may have been lost, necessary to comm. across the wired LAN to the amp. If the only problem is connecting by the network, then that's likely to be it. Try doing atrace-route (or tracert, or tracepath) from the point you want to access the amp from, to the amp's IP Address on the net, and see where the path breaks... that's where, on the hops to the amp, the firewall or other blocking is likely to be.