Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have done a lot of reading on the web about a problem that

Customer Question

I have done a lot of reading on the web about a problem that I can't find a definitive answer to.
When I connect to a bookmaker's website (or any website for that matter), I need to know exactly what information they can get from my connection. Do they identify my modem/router's mac address or my pc's (or server's) mac address or both?
If the website can detect my pc mac address, is it possible to rebuild or reconfigure a server with a new physical mac address?
Please do not attempt to answer this question if you are not 100% sure.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Andrew and welcomeThey can get information about your browser as well as your operating system. As long as you do not run any programs they ask you to on the site, then it is limited to this.They can also get your Public IP address but Not your mac addressThey cannot rebuild or reconfigure a server based on your information as it is not valuable and the IP address is assigned to you by your provider.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard,

As I said above, I know for sure they are able to get more info than that because of how they related my connections, even though I used a different IP address. This can only mean that they were able to id my machine or my router. Can you explain this?

What is it that gives a machine its mac address?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The mac address is only used by the computer to the router, it is not sent further then this.As I indicated if you say they got the information, then they got it via a program you installed on your computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Something like active x scripts that run on the page?

If that is the case, what information can they obtain?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you allow an Active X control to run thats unsigned, then they could get any information as this is a program.This is why Internet Explorer is so unsecured.In order to avoid this, use Google Chromewww.google.com/chrome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have only ever used Google chrome.

The sites are www.bet365.com and www.betfair.com

Do you know what is running on these pages that allows them to gather more data?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Nothing further, they can only get the data I have explained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, fair enough. In any case, what is it that gives a machine its mac address?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is done at the factory on the network card and is always unique and made dependent on the vendors code.If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Richard, Network Architect
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And if you change the network card of the machine, then its mac address will therefore be a new unique code?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
correct, though most are integrated to the motherboard now days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it Richard, thanks.

Can you recommend a program to connect to a remote windows laptop or pc from a mac machine? Is there a good website that describes how to correctly set the machine up for this purpose?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
As per site policy, can you please make a new question from this and I can work with you on this.Put in the questionFORCustomerONLY if you wish for me to answer it please