Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
47680681

Networking PC's

Hello. I have two Lenovo PC's that are on adjacent desks. They both have windows 8.1 64 bit. I use ACT on of them and want to be able to have ACT on the other pc too, so that both users will be using the same system. I wanted to steer clear of buying a router, wireless adapters etc if possible as I only need a simple solution. I saw on the net that you can buy a crossover cable, but this only seems to work with Vista and 7. Is there an easy way to do this with a cable? I already have two licence agreements for ACT!, and I just wanted us both to be able to input data on the software, on different PC's, so each other can see the data.

Category: Networking
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** should be able to use a crossover cable between the two computers with Windows 8. You need to change the network adapter settings on each computer and enter an IP address. For example, on Computer A, use 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.2. On Computer B, use 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1. You might be able to do this with a regular patch cable, because many of the cables recognize they need to switch the Tx and Rx pins and do it automatically.Next, make sure the location of the ACT database is ahared so that the other user can get to it.Then, open ACT on Computer A, go to Tools and Database Maintenance and make sure the shared box is checked. Next, go to Help and About ACT and note the location of the PAD file. Copy this file to the databases folder for Computer B. You're not copying the database to Computer B -- the PAD file is simply a pointer that tells ACT where to find the database.If this answers your question, please accept the answer and rate me accordingly. I don't get paid anything for helping you if you don't accept the answer. If this doesn't resolve your issue, please chat me back and we'll figure out what the problem is. Thanks and have a great day!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the detailed reply. Do the cross over cables need to go into the ethernet ports on the PC (where the internet cables go). If so, how do i plug in the internet ethernet cables again, or can I buy a duel socket plug? Do I need to buy network cards for each PC as I assume these PC's don't have them issued when purchased? Perhaps if I install network cards for each PC, then the cross over cable connects to these so that this doesnt interupt the internet ports, but I don't know about this as for some reason I think that the cross over cable is like an ethernet cable and uses Internet ports.

Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
you mentioned the crossover cable, so I assumed that both computers had Ethernet ports. To network the computers together, they have to have some kind of network connection, either wired or wireless.
Steve, Consultant
Experience: Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.