Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, PC Technician
Experience:  All types of network devices, routers/switches/bridges/wifi/NIC's/Modems
63493917

I have a windows domain controller and 5 PC's. Each PC

I have a windows domain controller and 5 PC's. Each PC has 2 or more users and each user has a specific login name in the format Domain\Username.I want to setup each PC so that a default logon name is ***** ***** whenever the PC is rebooted.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

Jimmy, i think i just need to verify what you are trying to accomplish with the Default Username Displayed at Windows Login, that is joined in a Domain.

.

Best practice would be to make sure the User logging in MUST press Ctr-Alt-Del to get the UN/PW dialog box to appear (more secure).

However......whomever was the LAST user to Log Out, will be displayed first.

If I am understanding your question correctly, there is no setting (that i am aware of) that allows for a Username, of your choice, to be displayed, instead of the Last Logout username.

.

Or am i missign the mark here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the last user to be logged on will be displayed it the PC is logged off/restarted.I need a default Active Directory username to appear each time the PC is logged of or restarted irrespective of who was last logged on.

Hmmm....well, the only thing i can think of....would be that you create an Automated User Login/Logout Batch Script, that runs each time a User logs out.

.

So....anytime a (normal) user logs out, this triggers the automated script to run, and Logs In (the actual name is arbitrary) the default User you wish to have displayed on a Windows Login Screen.

.

The exact details of the Automated Script, such as the commands and arguments to use, would be a moderately difficult task to create..not to mention the testing and DeBug stage.

.

.

Ive been thinking......WHY would you need to do this anyways? There might be a different Train of thought we could ride...and possibly accomplish the OVERALL goal?

Just thinking outloud here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The reason I need to do this is because i remotely manage the network and PC's - not just this one but many others.Each user has a username (and password ***** I wouldn't remember) and in many cases do not want to know for reasons of security/liability.When I need to access the PC to do something such as install software, check backup's, AV Updates I like to logon with the Domain administrator with a single password.How ever when I finish and logout the user gets confused the next they try to logon because they do not see their normal username and end up ringing me each time (Yes some of them are pretty dumb).I guess the reason I am pushing this so much is because I used to be able to do this on the older Server OS's like SBS2003 and find it hard to understand why it would not be available some way through Group Policy or a Powershell script or registry edit.

Its possible what you seek lives in the registry.

Somethign like.....Last Logoff Username is ***** ***** login field............Value: 1 (meaning true)

But.....im really not sure...theres WAY WAY TOO MANY things in the registry to remember them all

Or a SUPER Analog version would be.

A post it note with their USERNAME written out, so they do NOT FORGET the format, and syntax for a Domain Username Login.

But im sure you thought of that?

I certainly know where your coming from on this though.....the simpler you make it for the End-User....the simpler the IT staff has it.

Automation is KING!

.

.

When it works.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
LOL - Yes a Post it would do the trick until they loose it!!

Im not saying it is impossible to do.....However, as far as I can tell there is no Easy (or even moderately difficult) way of haviing a STATIC (never changing) Username to auto-populate at the Windows Login.

.

I do know (or atleast I vaguely remember back on WinXP) that you can have the Windows Login default to a BLANK (empty login fields) username and password.

.

.

Grasping at straws here........as the IT staff.....write a SOP, that states ALL remote session's MUST end as a LOGOUT of the dominant user for each machine. YOu know where im going with this.....and its surely been though of before....but honestly......aside from a custom built Batch Script, or registry hack, this task accomplishes VERY VERY little in the way of being worth it.

.

Unfortunately its just one of those things that takes a large amount of effort, for very llittle return.

.

Hope ive been helpful.

Quiksilver07070, PC Technician
Experience: All types of network devices, routers/switches/bridges/wifi/NIC's/Modems
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually I think I may have found a workaround viz a viz...So I need to be able to logon to a Domain connected PC as Domain\administrator and do whatever work needs to be done. When I am finished I need to logoff and have the previous users name displayed for them to log back on again.
So I logon as Domain\AdministratorIf I then go to-HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\LastLoggedOnUserI will obviously see Domain\administrator as the last logged on user. If I now change that to Domain\UsernameXXX and logoff I will see the Domain\usernamexxx displayed when I logoff as administrator.This way works although I need to edit the registry key before I logoff each time but that is no big deal in comparison to a confused user who doesn't know how to logon to their PC unless the Domain and Username are displayed for them on the logon screen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope you got the payment by BTWBest and Thanks

I did.....thank you!

You are correct, that is a work around, but requires a manual task each time a logoff occurs, AND you have to touch the registry. In college they alwsy beat into our head.....to stay out of the registry WHENEVER possible.

.

What about just logging in to the End User's account, and then quickly Log out.

.

No need to make changes to ANYthing

Still a manual task for each Session, but in my opinion, a safer way.

.

Heck, theres probably a few more solutions that use a manual task at each session logout....but, to get Full Automation......get prepared to spend quite a few days just formulating the Batch/Script....then another chunk of time for debugging.

.

Best of Luck..... in all directions!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ThanksYes you are right about just logging on and off again as the particular user.Unfortunately that is my problem. Some people are VERY touchy about giving their passwords to anyone even the IT Administrator e.g. Partners, Payroll Operators and HR people which is why I have the problem in the first place.Very Best to you too and thanks again!!

Ahhhh....yeah.....thats going to be a tough one.

You are quite Welcome, and THANK YOU!

Best of Luck!