p0llinate
p0llinate, Consultant
Experience:  IT systems admin, network installer
59725966

Media Cable The main network hub will be on the first floor

Virgin Media Cable
The main network hub will be on the first floor in a cupboard in the hallway.
Virgin media will run fibre optics straight into my house (from street) to one main point on ground floor (TV+Phone) but this is not the main point/hub for my network (it is on the first floor in a cupboard in the hallway).
shall i run from fibre optic point to the main network hub on the first floor in a cupboard in the hallway 1 x cat6 and 1 x coax cables?
These cables act as extension to run the cable services to the main point/hub?
Category: Networking
Expert:  p0llinate replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

In your situation, I would either ask them to make the cupboard the main hub, then run tv/phone from it to your other locations, or locate the hub where they put the tv/phone equipment.

You won't be able to successfully do your own fibre and integrate with their equipment, so either you move or they move.

If you put the hub by the tv/phone point, that is really just for your modem. You can still put your router in the cupboard, and run a cat6 from the modem/tv/phone location to the cupboard for your router. If you are remodeling anyway, running an extra coax would be a good idea as well.