Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

IP Address Tracing

Customer Question

IP Address Tracing
Category: Networking
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 7 months ago.

Dear Client,

Thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible. Can you please tell me what you are trying to accomplish so that I can better understand how I can help you?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Lorenz,I created a Facebook Profile in another person's name. I used incognito window. Will they be able to trace my IP?

Hi Madam or Sir,

yes, they will. The incognito window only blocks cookies and such. If you haven´t used a proxy server, your IP address is still your normal IP and can be seen by them. I´d suggest your better delete the profile quickly and please let me know if you have any other questions in that relation, I am here to help.

If I was able to help you already, I would very happy about a positive rating (3 to 5 stars), because only then I get paid by JustAnswer with a part of your already accomplished payment, which mediated your question to me as an independent expert. If you still have questions, please just reply again and I will help you further on to fix your problem. That involves no additional costs for you, you can reply as often as you want until I was able to solve your problem to your satisfaction.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I assessed it from home. And they have lodged a police report, but in another country. I have deleted the account. Will it suffice? If you troubleshoot for me, can you clear everything completely? As in, there'll be no odds of me being caught at all?

Ah they already did that, that´s not good. The problem is not on your side, the problem is that they have logged your IP address at the side of Facebook. It´s like a speed camera, they have your picture and you can´t delete it anymore. You´d have to hack Facebook to delete the IP address, which is impossible. It´s like if they have taken a photo of you when you did create the account, you will not be able to delete it "from them" anymore, as it is not on your PC, but on their servers / PCs already unfortunately. Still of course you can clean up your PC just for security, in case they´ll raid your house. It´s not illegal to do at least that of course.

By the way, your internet connection, is that a shared one? Or is it registered under your name?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it's with Facebook now, the information? It's registered under my housemate's name. But they would know it's me. Is it very easy for the police to obtain the information from Facebook? And does having my IP address mean they will have direct access to my identity?

Yes, Facebook has logged it at the moment you´ve created that account, there it was already to late if you didn´t use a proxy-server. Now they have submitted the IP to the police and the police can find out to which address the IP belongs by contacting your internet service provider. The information they will then have is the one of the owner of the account, so your mate´s.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The ISP I'm using is registered in another country, and the police report was lodged in another. Does border acts as some kind of a barrier in this case? As in it would be more difficult for them to trace back to me? In your opinion as an experienced IT person, what are the odds of someone who created a fake Facebook profile (to defame someone) prosecuted?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it very easy to trace IP?

Yes, for the police it is, but the cross-border thing might help you that they will most likely not prosecute it. Of course it somewhat depends on what you did, if it was a heavy crime and someone got killed because of your actions, things might look different and they might do the effort.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Means if they found out my identify they might not prosecute it? What are the odds? I sent messages to the person's friends to shame him, but nothing life-threatening. Does it look bad in terms of cyber crime?

Honestly, if it was just that and it is cross-border, forget about it. And don´t forget, they will first have your mate´s informations / address, as he is registered on the IP address, not you. So they also have to prove that you did it and not your mate.

Are you using the same PC like him?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, thank you! That's a relief. No, but he was out of the country at that moment.

Ah I see, well, still, it´s cross-border, it´s not worth it for them most likely to prosecute that, the costs would be to extreme. Even if it was in your country, you´d most likely, if at all, have to pay a few hundred pounds for such things. They will not take you to prison for that if nothing serious did happen.

But of course, you still should not do such things, but I guess you knew that already.

If I could help you with your question, please be so kind to submit a 3 to 5 stars rating for me so that JustAnswer can honor my work I did for you. Thanks so much.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, pay a few hundred pounds even only if they press charges? Or even if they don't?

I mean if they should really take you to court for that. Which I highly doubt.

Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience: 17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)

Thanks for the rating. If you want I can also take a look at your PC and clean it up for you (in general), but that would be an extra service. Just let me know and thanks again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

I have to thank. Just in case, you can also ask a lawyer at JustAnswer if you wish. He should be able to tell you exactly what can happen if they really do anything, which from my personal experience, I doubt.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright, I will heed your advice. Thanks!

Great. Should I do a PC cleanup for you as an extra service or are you not interested?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh, I don't have the funds for it at the moment. Thank you for the offer though!

OK, no problem and thank you too. Google up "CCleaner" and use it, that should already help you a lot:)

Thanks again and have a good night:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi. If the person has a list of 2-3 suspects, could the person hand in the names to the authorities? And have them check on the IP addresses of the persons listed?

Hi again:) No, this only works the other way around, IP can be resolved into a name by your internet service provider, but name can´t be resolved into an IP, that´s impossible.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh I see. Okay. If someone has a reference? Say an email I've sent using the same computer previously, could they hand it in?

Sure they could if they have saved that mail on their side....

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh I see. Thank you.

You are welcome.