Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

2 of us were working in an office and both using Act! as a

Customer Question

2 of us were working in an office and both using Act! as a client database. My PC was the primary data holder. This was shared via a router wirelessly.
We are now working from our own different homes and of course he cannot access the Act data! Is there a way that he can share Act with me through the internet?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

You would need to have a VPN in order to do this Jamie.

To see whats possible, what are the make and models of your wifi routers?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

My coleague uses a SKY wireless router which we says is connected to his fibre optic.

I on the other hand will be using Satellite broadband due to the area I am in England. The router I have for this will be an existing TP Link one I have

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, what you are going to have to do is set up remote access on a computer, then the person connects to the computer and uses it directly on the computer for this.

Then you can only stop the Act database on this one computer.

You can then follow the instructions to allow for remote desktop on the computer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17463/windows-7-connect-to-another-computer-remote-desktop-connection

you will then need to forward port 3389 to the computer via your internet router (I need the exact make and model to tell you how)

Then they can connect to the computer via your public IP Address which you find out here www.whatismyip.com

they connect to the computer and can use Act directly in a shared environment.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Great, so its possible. I will confirm the router detail for you on Saturday as im moving house and its boxed up. I hope this will be ok with you, and thank you so much for the quick response.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

No problem, I am not on Saturday, but will reply on Monday to you

If for now you need anything else, let me know and please take a moment to rate my service for now, via the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Richard

Following on from our conversation, I have now checked my router. The details of my router are

TP Link

Model TL-WR841N Version 10.0

Does this help?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

ok, you will need to follow this guide to forward port 3389 to the computer you setup running remote desktop

https://portforward.com/tp-link/tl-wr841n/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Richard

Thank you for your help so far. I have done as you have said. I have set up a static IP using the link and have paid for this. I am nearly at the end but I am stuck. I am on the TP -Link wireless router webpage. On the page ''Add or Modify a Virtual Server Entry', it asks the following questions and I don't understand what I need to type

1 Service port

2 Internal port

3 IP address--- (iassume this is the TP-Link IP address?

4 Protocol ---All,TPC or UDP?

5 Status ---Enabled or disabled?

6 Common service port---drop down list

Can you help?

Will my colleague also need to go through the same process too?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

service port is 3389

2 is 3389

3 is the IP of the computer running remote desktop

4 is All

5 is enable

6 is 3389

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

On point 6, I can choose from the drop down list

Dns

Ftp

Gopher

Http

Nntp

Pop3

Pptp

Smtp

Sock

Telnet

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

you leave it blank

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Richard, are you able to remotely take over both of our PC'S and finish getting this set up for us if I pay you?

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

I can and have made the offer for you for this.

Richard, Network Architect
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

On the computer with Act, that the other person will be connecting to, please do the following

go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

ID 788 148 919

password *****

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

connecting

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

I have a good solution for you, easiest is I call you to explain, can you give me your phone number please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I sent my number on the private contact part. Hope you got it.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

checking

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

No it did not come up, but basically, I rang up Act and asked about an online version

They have one and all you need to do is once you take up their service, send them your backup file and they put all the data into the online system which you can use with multiple people.

For this you can call them on 08 452 680 220

And go through the options with them on this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Well that sounds like a great solution. Thank you for all of your hard work here and for going the extra mile for me.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

you're most welcome