Richard, Network Architect
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Networking
32989067

I have satellite Internet from SKY because we live in a

I have satellite Internet from SKY because we live in a remote area. If I do a speedtest using their portal I get a download speed of 20.48Mb/s today but the performance seems very slow - pages take ages to load etc and it just does not feel like 20Mb/s. I pay for a maximum of 20 but they don't guarantee a minimum. SKY say my satellite system is working perfectly. I take the signal from the SKY modem through a TP-Link TL-WR941ND router but eliminating this from the system makes no discernible difference i.e. if I connect the SKY modem directly to my PC. I've tried changing channel settings but it really makes no difference
Category: Networking
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

The speeds can indeed fluctuate a lot.

If you run a speed test now, what do you get?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my response?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, only that you wanted me to connect to your computer, I offered this now for you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FINALLY! I/D 695 426 321
Password *****
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

connecting now

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, that was incredibly slow, it disconnected me.

Do you have another computer there David?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just found out that my wife was trying to logon to Facebook but what you found was absolutely normal and, even I turn this computer off, we have the same problems of massive variability on our tablets - both now switched off.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, the internet modem, what is the make and model of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SKY MODEM is a ViaSat Surfbeam 2 MODEL RM4100
ROUTER which I use as a cabled pass through to this PC is a TP-Link TL-WR941ND but I have done tests with this in circuit and with the SKY modem direct to the PC and I really don't see a difference - I've had 20.48 Mb/s with the router in circuit this morning but performance in opening browser pages was awfully slow. SKY tested their end last week and said it was "perfect" This includes remote testing of their modem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, the issue is not the computer as you say you have this slowness on multiple devices.

remove the power to the modem, wait 5 minutes, connect the power again and tell me how it now operates please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's normally better when I remove power, wait and the power the modem up again but I'm not sure whether it's just re-establishing the connection again which "jerks" it into action for a little while. If this was all that was required we had a 60 minute power cut on Saturday and no magic happened.
THIS TIME: Seems OK at the minute but, from experience, this is not the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but it can then point to a faulting modem, does it have a reset button on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's a little hole for a paper clip, for example, but I'm reluctant to press it as I'm worried that I'll have to put in all the original login info again or is that stored by SKY? I'll press it if you say so! This problem has been present for probably a couple of months now - it's not new.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's quite fast at the minute!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Did you first need to enter information when you received it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I think that that is the access code into their network. I have, in the interim found all the info from when I received:
SKY NUMBER
CLIENT I/D
Activation code (I'm not sure that this will still be valid as this is 3 years old)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then now do the reset and let me know how it goes please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just done a test 16.83/6.03 PING 680 Jitter 14 ms - still reset?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You can wait till it slows down again then do it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'll go ahead and do it because the problem won't have gone away because we've done nothing! I'll let you know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pushing a paper clip in does nothing!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I held it for 30 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Call Sky as they may have a lock on it and ask them for the reset procedure

Tell me what they say please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a public holiday in Germany today (GERMAN UNITY DAY) and so the assistance is not available but I can phone tomorrow and ask them and then get back to you. They may not tell me because they're German and will say that it's perfect and not necessary but I'll try.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will be here tomorrow David, so we can continue there, but explain all we have done and that it will have to be the modem. They must know this is the next logical step to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard - the only thing that I am struggling with in my own mind is to understand how the results an Ookla test never show an upload speed below 15Mb/s and yet the computers/tablets show that this doesn't reflect in performance. If you have had dealings with SKY you will know - if not then I can tell you that their world consists of Black and White and they will not admit to a shade of grey ie an intermittent fault plus I don't know how I can tell them what tests we've done to suggest it's the modem - they will ask me to run a speed test and that will almost certainly give good results. I don't pretend to know the answer but I know the problem REALLY well.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is because your only testing on their network, not over the internet, when you test over the internet you lose the speed so the issue is when it leaves their network

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but won't they just say that they are just an ISP and when the request or whatever leaves them and returns then they have no control BUT the bit that they control is OK and the test proves it.
I'm really not clear in my own mind how the modem can affect it outside of their part of the process. This does not really equip me well to argue with them which I know from past experience will be obligatory. I'm sorry to seem to be awkward but the Germans (like the French) work from a base that the customer is always wrong and, in any case, is probably stupid.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

it is something we need to rule out, as it will register it again on the network

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll try when they start work again tomorrow
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thank you, ***** ***** know what they say please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Richard,
This is what SKY say:Dear Mr FIRTH,Thank you for your call. Please find the attachment.Please connect your modem directly to a Laptop or desktop computer, open a browser and introduce 192.168.100.1/install to reset the modem configuration.Your details:
Please choose spot configuration number 2 (Orange).I am absolutely familiar with this and have done it as recently as last week. It does nothing apart from allowing you to check the antenna alignment i.e. continuous tone from the receiver head and not beep beep.You can be assured that this does not solve the problem as I am an expert as I've tried it so many times just to check that the antenna hasn't moved and is causing the problem. It's really the same as powering down the modem and then up again.I think that it's over to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

to check, did you actually do the instructions and reset the router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven'y today but give me five minutes and I will - again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

please do as this was what I indicated we wanted to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DONE
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, if you reset it then monitor it and see how the speed goes now

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I use JackDinn's Auto speed tester and it says that the current D/L is 2.37 - can you recommend a different tester as I cannot get agreement with the Sky test using OOKLA
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

use speedtest.net

This is by far the best available and the most accurate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK and I'll be in touch after I've monitored both the speed and perceived performance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been running a lot of tests over the last 90 mins or so as follows by Speedtest.net unless stated:
11.52 am 13.19
12.27 pm 12.84
12.36 pm 3.71/0.07
12.45 pm 14.42
12.51 pm 11.64
12.55 pm 19.09/5.89 Tooway
12.57 pm 2.82/0.05
12.59 pm 1.27/0.04
13.01 pm 21.47/5.63 ToowayI believe that nothing at all has changed since I asked the original question and look forward to your view on the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It fluctuates, its an issue on their network. The fact you say you consistently are able to get high speeds to their internal server on their own test, shows the connection is ok to them but the connection from their network to the internet appears to be the issue.

Either it is overloaded wit other customers that share your bandwidth, your router is faulting (but unlikely if you do get high speeds to their own servers) else an issue on one of their main routers. Or they just provided really low quality speeds. But as we have consistently proven it is nothing on your side causing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the Ookla Tooway test (http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com) just an internal test or is it limited to their server?
This is the reply that I received from SKY last week:
Connection test outcome.
Customer ID: 50901752 / Order ID:(###) ###-####
Dear Mr. Ms. FIRTH,We have already analyzed your Internet connection and the results show that it works perfectly.Kind regards,
Your skyDSL-TeamskyDSL Europe B. V.
Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 14
D-10553 Berlin
Managing director: Jan Heße
Commercial register: Kamer von Koophandel Rijnland No.: 28073593I don't believe that you feel that this exercise has served any real purpose insofar as nothing whatsoever has changed
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You have only an email from them saying there is no problem.

I have with you ruled out the devices are the issue, or the routers configuration leaving only the causes I said. this is what purpose has been served David.

I see you have said many times I have done nothing for this but this is just not true. I understand your frustrated over the problem, but you need to understand the problem is on their network.

A email from someone does not change this, we have actually gone through and ruled out all causes on your end.

And yes, http://speedprobe.skylogicnet.com is as I said, an internal test which just shows the connection to their server. We, who do not use their system cannot even use the tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a little disappointed the other day that I had paid and got no immediate result at all. (Especially after paying extra for the aborted remote access)
We are going on holiday on Monday to see the family in the UK and then on a cruise and only return home early November.
At that point I am going to recommence battle with SKY on the basis that, for the majority of the time, the actual service available to me is very poor despite everything being "perfect" from their narrow view.
David