Martin
Martin, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

Can't connect to internet, new TP-Link AC1900 High Gain USB

Can't connect to internet, new TP-Link AC1900 High Gain USB 3 adapter fitted light blinks and drivers are showing as o.k. but just doesn't connect.
BT Router is working on other computers and mobile phones.
Only thing I can find is that the Default Gateway has no ip address its just blank does it need one and if so how do I insert it ??
Windows 7 Professional - Latest BT Router - WPS doesn't seem to work....
Category: Networking
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Martin are you still there ?
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

I am here, yes

Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Can you open a command prompt as admin and type the following commands from the computer that's not connecting:

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

netsh interface ipv4 reset

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Global o.k
Successfully reset winsock
ipv4 no user settings to reset
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Ok, now restart the computer and give it a minute to connect then tell me what you see under ipconfig

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Default Gateway still has no address
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

If you open up your network connections and go into the properties of the network adapter, then into the IPv4 properties, is it set to retrieve the IP automatically via DHCP or set to manual?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Martin have sent you a copy of the ipconfig
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** look now

Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Can you disable the IPv6 option from the TCP/IP settings?

Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Then disable all adapters under Network Connections (Open a run box and type ncpa.cpl)

Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

And power off the modem/router (both if you have) for a full 2 minutes

Enable the adapter on the computer and power on the router/modem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Martin for some reason I am only seeing your answers on my mobile and not on my laptop is it possible to send them to my laptop like the initial ones.
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

My replies get sent to you via this page, you can read them on either device. If you lost the page on your computer, go into your email inbox and click on one of the emails sent to you via JustAnswer and it will bring you straight back here.

I can also connect to you via a secure remote session and help you in real time if you like.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can u do that without a wifi internet connection ?
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

I can connect directly to that computer if you can manage to connect it via Ethernet, yes, otherwise I can connect to the computer you're on now and show you what to do

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cant do that at present the wireless network connection 30 says it disabled & when I try to enable it it says its enabled but it isn't.
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Does your home network ever show up in the list of available wireless connections?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dont think so where do i need to look for this ?
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

On the bottom right, where you get to select which wireless network you want to connect to

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just says unidentified network no access
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In network connections I can see the TP-Link usb adapter but it is disabled ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In the properties of the TCP/IPv4 there are no ip addresses but set to auto as well as dns.
In advanced dhcp is enabled with gateway metric selected
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I enter an ip address here fore the default gateway ?
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

Yes - are you currently on another computer?

Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

You can run an ipconfig command from cmd prompt on the computer that does work and it will tell you what the default gateway should be, for example:

192.168.0.1

Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

But with the adapter disabled and not being able to re-enable, it sounds like a driver issue

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would that be a case of getting the latest one of the internet and using it ?
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

I would advise going into the device manager, selecting it under network adapters and uninstalling it (make sure to tick the box to remove it completely) then restart the computer to see if Windows detects it automatically first

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just done that & it hasn't found it ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Martin finally resolved this issue by watching a TP-Link video and finding that the WLAN AutoConfig wasn't running and turning it on fixed the problem !
Expert:  Martin replied 3 months ago.

I see, it must have taken control over the default app that handles your wireless adapter. This happens when you install the software with drivers from a cd/disc or a software package.

I'm glad you were able to get it to work!

If you could take a moment to rate me so my time is recognized by clicking on one of the stars at the top of this page, then Submit, it would be greatly appreciated.

And if you need anymore assistance in future, you can request me directly using this link:

http://expertmartin.com