Claws224
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I have a remote computer in a building about 100 yards from

Customer Question

I have a remote computer in a building about 100 yards from my house. There are mains electricity and telephone connections. I have a connection to the fibre-optic supply in the village, about 2 miles away. The router is in the kitchen and I get about 20mb download. I have a TP-Link to the mains next to the router, and a corresponding TP-Link in the building.
There is less than 10mb there, but it does work. I have been advised to buy a Devolo unit to improve the signal to the remote computer. Is this a sound idea, and if so, which Devolo device do I buy ?
Category: Networking
Expert:  JamesI replied 3 months ago.

Hi ***** assume the TP-Link device you have is what is known as a power line adaptor, where you plug a network cable at one end to the router, then a network cable in at the other end into your remote computer.

With this in mind you need to look at the speed of the power line adaptors, rather than the make.

They normally have the speed indicated on the label such as 200mbps, the current ones you can buy are 500+mbps such as the ones here for under £30.

I assume your using speedtest.net to check the speed between your house and the out building, which is showing a 50% loss?