Tim
Tim, Sr Systems/Network Engineer
Experience:  15 years in IT, have been with Ebay, DoD, and many others.
75378780

Can't get VPN working on Asus RT-AC68U router. Can connect

Customer Question

Can't get VPN working on Asus RT-AC68U router. Can connect to VPN when on LAN network but not through the internet.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tim and have over 15 years of experience with eBay, Google, and the Department of Defense.
Please tell me more about your problem, the more detail the better? Is this a work VPN? Personal?

Tim, Sr Systems/Network Engineer
Experience: 15 years in IT, have been with Ebay, DoD, and many others.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The VPN is mainly so i can sync my ACT database when im out of the office. I can connect to the VPN that i have setup on the router when im on LAN network but when I'm connected to a different internet connection it comes up saying that the connection has ended and the port closed. I have teamviewer if it is easier to remotely log in and see for yourself
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Tim, let me know when your free to assist me on this. Thanks
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

My name is David.

It seems that Tim may not be available. Do you still need further assistance?

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please David
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do you need to know or can you remote in?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just so you know I have tried my vpn on a different network connection and it worked. I guess my problem is now when I'm on the internet through my iPhone.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

So just to clarify, it does not work when you are connecting your laptop to the Internet through your iPhone or when you are connecting to your VPN through your iPhone?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Laptop to the internet through phone
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't see the other computers but I guess that is because both my home network and the network I'm using is using the same subnet
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Yes, so certain VPN technology prevents routing loops in the VPN by preventing a connection from the point of origin back to the same network.

So have you tried VPN through your iPhone from a different network? One way to test that would be to disconnect your iPhone from your local WiFi network and then VPN from the laptop through your iPhone data network connection. If you have not tried that please try it now and let me know the result.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tried the vpn through someone else broadband and it connected. Already tried iPhone disconnect from the wifi and just get this message
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Screen shot
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The IP address of the computer is 172.20.10.2. Home network ip is 192.168.0.xxx does that make a differ ance?
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

The IP address of the computer's network interface used to connect the VPN, the VPN virtual network interface on the computer, and the LAN IP address range must be different in order for the VPN to work. So to test you would need to connect the computer to the iPhone as a hotspot using an IP address such as 10.0.0.2, then connect to the VPN where the VPN virtual adapter has an IP address such as 172.16.0.5, and the local area network with a subnet address range of 192.168.0.1-10 would work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the iPhone is giving the laptop an IP address of 172.20.10.2 on the hotspot, what ip address should I get the iPhone to give the laptop?
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

That IP address should work as long as the VPN IP addresses are not also in the 172.16.x.x range. So when the laptop connects to the VPN through the iPhone make sure the laptop is not connected to the local network, then please let me know what IP address is assigned to the VPN virtual interface on the laptop.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The phone is not connected to any local network, how do I find out the IP address of the vpn when it does not connect to it.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

If using Windows 8 or 10 first connect to the VPN then right click the Windows Start button then click the Search field and type

cmd

in the Search field and right click on the command terminal icon that appears and click Run as Administrator. Then on the command line type

ipconfig /all

and press Enter. Scroll through the information and look for the VPN virtual adapter and below the name of the adapter you will see the IP address assigned to the virtual adapter when the computer is connected to the VPN.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PPP adapter: 192.168.0.200(Preferred)
Laptop is connected through friends wifi not through the iPhone btw. Otherwise the vpn does not connect
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

My apologies for the delay and thanks for the additional information.

Since the VPN gives out an IP address in the same subnet range as your home local area network, that would explain why the laptop cannot connect to the VPN while connected to your local area network.

So just to clarify...

Your home local area network IP address range is 192.168.0.x

The VPN IP address range is 192.168.0.x

The iPhone gives the laptop an IP address in the range of 172.20.10.x

What IP address range does your friend's local network assign to the laptop?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
192.168.0.x
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The vpn will connect when I'm on my home local area network.
It only does not connect when the laptop is connected to the iPhone
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

And when the laptop connects to the iPhone it is connected only to the iPhone wireless hotspot and to no other networks correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's correct
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

When the computer connects to the iPhone is the iPhone WiFi disabled?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No and the iPhone is not connected to any other wifi network
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

What mobile wireless carrier does the iPhone use?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
O2
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok thanks. Assuming at least 1 GB of data on the plan O2 should not block tethering.

The hotspot connection works without the VPN?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
20gb data plan and yes hotspot connection works to the internet. Just the connection to the vpn does not.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok thanks - just a moment...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problem
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

I am still reviewing the VPN service on the router to determine whether or not the protocols it uses for the VPN connection could cause the issue.

The iPhone data connection is not encrypted or using a VPN connection correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct as far as I know.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok, so change the IP address range that the VPN server provides to 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.20. Then save the setting and then try connecting to your network using the VPN through the iPhone and let me know the result.

If you need assistance changing the IP address range on the VPN just let me know.

Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

I can also provide remote assistance to help in changing the router configuration if needed - just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, traveling back home. I have changed my home IP address range to 192.168.10.xx . Should I still change the VPN server range or leave it at 192.168.0.xx
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Yes I would recommend changing the VPN server range as well because it is less common and less likely to cause issues.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have read that with iOS10 apple don't support PPTP and people think this includes for PPTP pass through for the hotspot connection. There seems to be a couple of possible work arounds for this thought. Didn't know if this may help or not.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it's the client IP address that I should change to 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.20 on the VPN server?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would changing it to 10.0.0.1 allow my laptop to see the other computers in the network on the IP address? I thought they had to be 192.168.xx.xx for it to see the other computers
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Yes, change the IP address range for the VPN to that setting. The router should perform routing between the VPN IP address range and the LAN subnet.

Regarding the concern about PPTP and iOS I have heard that as well however there is no definitive evidence. I will check into it and get right back to you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have changed the vpn up and it still does not connect with the iPhone hotspot.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok thanks - just a moment...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have connected to my guest network and connected the vpn but can't see my other computers on the network. I'm happy to pay for the remote support as I'm sure it will be quicker you seeing for yourself than me and you messaging each other
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok so it seems the router is bridging rather than routing which means that the new IP address range will not work. So go ahead and change the IP address range on the VPN back to the original range. I will provide you with a remote assistance link you can use in a moment to start the remote assistance connection.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I assume you use teamviewer
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Yes, however lets try the JustAnswer remote assistance program first. Please click on the link below, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click I Agree, then let the program download then double click on the program to start it if it does not start automatically:

click here