Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
Experience:  Cisco and Microsoft certified with over 20 years experience in system design, integration and development
13852270

I have an openvpn setup (on asus router) and can access my

I have an openvpn setup (on asus router) and can access my home LAN network remotely from my laptop through the internet (WAN) but I was wondering if it is possible that when my laptop (client) is connected to the VPN that i can map the clients hard drive from one of my LAN pc's (sort of like VPN but backwards compatible)?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

My name is David.

The answer to your question is Yes if you connect from your laptop to the LAN PC using Remote Desktop which is already built into Windows. To map the drive on the client side, start Remote Desktop to begin a Remote Desktop session and click Options, then click the Local Resources tab, then click More and check the box next to Drives and click OK. Then when you click Connect and enter the IP address or Host name of the LAN PC and connect, after the computers are connected, on the LAN PC click the Windows Start button then Computer and you will see the laptop client drives display as available for the LAN PC to store information.

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow and let you know if It worked. Thanks for your help the other night, I managed to get access to all the Lan computers from my laptop connected to my iphone with just a few minor tweeks and a little tidying up.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Wow that's great! Glad it's working so well!

Yes, just get back to me tomorrow after you have had a chance to test it - I use that feature all the time and it works well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i can't get my laptop to remote desktop connect to the desktop pc even when connected by the LAN (even turned off firewall to make sure that is not blocking it). I have seen that the remote RDP server is not enabled in windows 10 home edition which I have and only works in Pro or Enterprise. I assume this is why it won't connect so either can you advise how to get remote Desktop working so I can try your soloution or let me know if there is another way to resolve my orginal question.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

There is a workaround that enables RDP server on Windows 10 Home - this solution has been around for awhile since Microsoft disabled RDP server on earlier versions of Windows Home Edition as well. Please click the link below for instructions on installation:

click here

Please click the link below to download the software package that enables RDP:

click here

If you need assistance installing or configuring the RDP server software just let me know.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi DavidI managed to get the Remote Desktop Connection to work but only after downloading an additional extension called rfxvmt.dll and put it in the C:Windows\System 32 folder and install it again and run the update. Just in case you get someone with the same issue of it not working after following all the steps in the guide you sent me (which happened to me).
I have done what you mentioned in your first post but i can' seem to map the network drive of the laptop on the desktop server. I want to be able to access the laptop hard drive from the server without the need of having the laptop computer connected to Remote Desktop Connection only the laptop connected to the VPN.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Ok so it sounds like you have already tried to add a mapped drive on the server that connects to the laptop drive and it is not working correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
correct it does not give me the option when right clicking on the drive
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Please try the following procedure:

Open File Explorer and select "This PC".

Click the Map network drive button in the ribbon menu at the top of the Window that appears, then select "Map network drive."

Select the drive letter you want to use for the network folder.

Type \\x.x.x.x\Share and replace x.x.x.x with the IP address of the laptop when connected to VPN, and replace "Share" with the name of the drive share on the laptop.

Click OK then click Finish.

Test to see if the mapped drive connects to the laptop over the VPN.

Please let me know if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try that when I turn the computer on, in the mean time I just remembered that I did try to ping the laptop from the server and it failed so I don't think that will work unless the desktop pc can ping the laptop through the vpn.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

The reason the desktop cannot ping the laptop is because the desktop needs an entry in its routing table telling it where to send packets destined for the VPN subnet. Once a persistent route is entered to correct that it should work. If you give me the IP addresses of both desktop and laptop's VPN Interface I can provide you with a command that will fix the connectivity issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Desktop is 192.168.10.2
Vpn 10.2.0.0/6
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

Open an administrator command terminal and enter the following command:

route -p add 10.2.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 192.168.10 17

Note that the 192.168.10.17 is the gateway for the desktop's network. If the gateway IP address has changed, just change the command above to the new IP address for the gateway. Once the command is entered, reboot the desktop, open an administrator command terminal and type:

route print

and check to confirm that the route you just entered is still in there. Then try again to ping the laptop while the laptop is connected to the VPN using the laptop's VPN IP to verify connectivity.

Please let me know the result.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I added the line you mentioned but i can still not ping the laptop from the desktop. Obviously I can ping the desktop from the laptop
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
An update. I removed the line you mentioned above and I edited the firewall on the laptop to allow ICMPv4 protocol and I can now ping the laptop from the desktop through the VPN, Will look at mapping the laptop drive on the desktop through the VPN
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It now works, I can access the laptop (client) hard drive from the desktop pc(server) through the VPN. Even better it appears as a network location in network on the desktop pc.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

That's great and makes sense - by default the router is blocking ICMP. So everything is now working, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
everything is working correct.
Expert:  Syseng replied 3 months ago.

That's great news!

If you need any further assistance just let me know. Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.