Bryan
Bryan, Programming Tutor
Experience:  Delphi, c, c++, c# and even a bit of Assembler thrown in. I've been programming for over 25 years. What do you need to know
59162784

Hi JustAnswer Can you help me? I have a database, HW_5.DBF,

Customer Question

Hi JustAnswer

Can you help me?

I have a database, HW_5.DBF, written in dBase IV by a DOS program called Enable (long gone out of business) which contains several Memo Fields .

I wish to be able to open this database with a Windows Database Program, ideally Open Office but would settle for Microsoft Access or Lotus Approach.

However, the memo fields in Enable are stored in a database file ending in.DBT and when I look at the memo fields in HW_5.DBF in display mode they show up in:
(a.) Columns and
(b.) if the memo field is blank then the entry in the column on the row of that record is blank but
(c.) if the memo field contains data then the entry in the column on the row of that record shows as 5 digit numbers. If, whilst in that field, I then press F4, it opens up the memo field as the word processing document it was created in.

I can open HW_5.DBF currently with Microsoft Access and Lotus Approach and they open every thing except the corresponding Memo Fields.

Can you help?

William (Bill) Kay
Category: Programming
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Bryan :

My name is Bryan and I will be assisting you today.

Bryan :

You can use the free GTK DBF Editor to handle this. You can download it from: DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/download

Bryan :

Please let me know if you have any followup questions.