Richard, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist
32989067

I suspect one of my employees of serious misconduct at work

I suspect one of my employees of serious misconduct at work regarding his computer. Unfortunately last week he reported his computer as faulty and a new one was installed. Can I check his browser history through our IP address or do I need the actual computer.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

you wont be able to check anymore on the computer, but II see this is at a company.

Do you have a Microsoft ISA server or similar proxy server in place? As if logging is on there, you can get the web history from this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a small business only three computers. The computers are routed through a BT wireless router nothing fancy ???
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, you don't have one then Glen, and the router does not do this.

This was the only option to get his browsing history if the computer was replaced.

I am sorry but it will not be possible.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anyway I can get into his work email account. I know the email address but not the password ?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
When you say work account, you mean it has your own @domain address?

If so, do you own it? And what is it (just tell me the part AFTER the @ please)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it's just a hotmail.co.uk
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, it wont be possible, as you do not own it, nor will the recovery options (eg: Mobile phone number, alternate email) will be available to you, plus it is technically illegal (you would be hacking his account).

I would advise you to register a real domain eg here: https://www.123-reg.co.uk/

And purchase email services. Then have your employees use this as you would then always have access (as it would be yours / your company account) so you could call to have the password XXXXX if needed. I cannot say what legal measures you would need to have in place (eg: Employement contract signed that you can check it) but you would need to ensure something like this is in place to protect yourself if you wish to do this).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok you have been very helpful. Thanks for the quick response :-)
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your most welcome Glen