Brandon M.
Brandon M., Programming Enthusiast
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I need to set up a web service to listen out for xml data from

I need to set up a web service to listen out for xml data from a Saas application. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Category: Programming
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you.

Is the XML data going to be pushed to this web service or will the web service need to actively pull the data from the Saas application? What web languages are you familiar with, if any?

Brandon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have little knowledge of web languages. This is the email I got from the application that is holding the data.

"The setup in Metrix is OK – just checked. Do you have a web service running on that address listening? You need to have something listening for the data – it cannot write to a folder on that address"

There is a module on the Saas application that allows me to state the URL that I assume the xml is sent to. Does that help?

Howard,

Thanks for the information. I typically deal with PHP-based services which probably isn't suited for something like Metrix (although, it can certainly be done). You probably need something that will run on IIS. Here is a few articles I found that should be helpful:

http://metrix.fcny.org/wiki/display/tips/How+to+Create+a+SOAP+Web+Service+with+Visual+Studio+.NET
http://metrix.fcny.org/wiki/display/tips/How+to+Create+a+PHP+Client+for+a+.NET+and+SOAP-based+Web+Service+API

You will likely need to build the service, run it on either IIS (Microsoft's web server) or Apache (WAMP, MAMP, etc). Then, provide the URL to that file to Metrix and it should push the XML data to it.

Let me know if you need more information.

Best regards,
Brandon
If you found this information helpful and you have no further questions, please be sure to rate the service so we can close this request out. If you wish to request me in the future, you can do so from my profile page by clicking my name.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,
Brandon