Jerubedo
Jerubedo, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  I specialize in Java, Java EE, PHP, mySQL, HTML5, Javascript, LifeRay Portal, CSS, eclipse, netbeans, and SVN.
25574478

How to return a character in a chosen position in the string

How to return a character in a chosen position in the string for the C language.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Jerubedo replied 2 years ago.
Jerubedo :

Hello, I can certainly help you with this. So in the C language, there is no such thing as a string per-se. Strings are actually an array of characters, so all you would need to do given the below example:

char myString[250]; //This is a string of up to 250 characters in length

myString = "Hello World";

return myString[3]; //This would return the charcter 'l'

Jerubedo :

If this has helped, please accept the answer or rate positively using the below smiley faces as that is the only way I am paid. If you need further clarification please continue the conversation below

Customer:

Is it possible to assign it to a variable?

Jerubedo :

sure, using the above example:

myString = "Hello World";

char specificCharacter = myString[3]; //This would set the specificCharacter variable to 'l'

return specificCharacter; //return the character variable

Jerubedo :

Does that help?

Customer:

I'm getting an error: incompatible types in assignment of 'char' to 'char [250]'

Jerubedo :

To execute, use this:

char myString[] = "Hello World"; //This is a string of up to 250 characters in length

Customer:

I had to put curly braces around "Hello World" otherwise the compiler found an error.

Customer:

I can print out the individual character but I can't assign it to a string (char) variable.

Jerubedo :

hmm, curly braces should not have been necessary for the above. This is C and not C++ right?

Customer:

dual compiler

Jerubedo :

Ah I see. It sounds like it is compiling for C++. Is the source file you are working in saved as a .c file?

Customer:

it's .cpp...

Jerubedo :

that's C++

Jerubedo :

C needs to be .c

Customer:

but i write c and compile it and it runs on other ppls machines that are c only

Customer:

but i'll try c only compiler...

Customer:

thanks for your help, very satisfied and i'll leave an excellent rating

Jerubedo :

any time. Let me know if you need more help after trying the c compiler only. We can continue chatting even after you rate

Customer:

ok

Customer:

yes, it's working, thank you very much

Jerubedo :

great! :)

Customer:

have a good day

Jerubedo :

you as well

Customer:

:D

Jerubedo, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: I specialize in Java, Java EE, PHP, mySQL, HTML5, Javascript, LifeRay Portal, CSS, eclipse, netbeans, and SVN.