ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in IT.Several years of programming experience in Java C++ C C# Python VB Javascript HTML
44910485

We have a site using MySQL and PHP that is returning error

Customer Question

We have a site using MySQL and PHP that is returning error messages when updating a specific table. We know the problem, but are having difficulties solving it.
The table uses a number of TEXT columns, and we're receiving the error: Row size too large (> 8126)
In our MySQL instance, we have just discovered that it is using COMPACT row_format which is why we're exceeding the row size for the number of TEXT fields we're using (~20, each several hundred charactors in length).
It is my understanding that if we were to change the row_format to DYNAMIC that would reduce the table overhead for the TEXT fields and solve the issue, however the file_format is Antelope and so we don't have that option.
Is it possible to change the file_format for a specific table, or does it need to be changed for the entire instance? I remember reading that Antelope and Barracuda shouldn't be combine in the same instance, hence asking.
The site is hosted on cloud hosting with Digital Ocean through Cloudways.
Category: Programming
Expert:  Seth Merrick explains replied 1 year ago.
Hi Matt, have you tried posting this on StackOverflow? You might have better luck there. Just my two bits.
p.s. Sorry, StackOverflow may not be correct (it's one of a network of communities, all under the StackExchange sites). You could try posting it both there, and also in the sub-category of: http://dba.stackexchange.com/I hope this helps!