Leela-TheProgrammer
Leela-TheProgrammer, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Post Grad in CS (Gold Medal)
21067471

Can anyone help with accurately calculating estimated costs

Customer Question

Can anyone help with accurately calculating estimated costs for hosting a video player website on AWS?
I can give more specifics I'm in the right place
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My website is www.bonbu.eu - it is a youtube clone. We expect a large increase in traffic once we start marketing.I cannot figure out AWS hosting/servers, and I want a ballpark estimateLet's take the example: In one month, 80,000 videos uploaded and each watched 250 times, that's 20,000,000 views. The average video will be 40 seconds each and will be captures on iPhones/Samsung etc so proabbly 720 at 30 frames per second (i think). Each ad will be prerolled with a non-click away ad of about 25 seconds in HD videos. The other pages on the site are fairly static, so I'm not too worried about them. I appreciate that the cloud is scaleable with increases/decreases but lets just assume there is a steady flow of traffic over the 30 days of the month. I'm looking to find out what my bill from AWS would be - roughly!!!! ;) Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should say most views will be in Ireland on internet connections of 2MB per second to 25 MB per second - if this makes a difference.I'll try and answer any tech queries you need answered to complete the calculation. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction to "Each ad will be prerolled" - "Each video will be pre-rolled"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html
Expert:  Leela-TheProgrammer replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for using JustAnswer. This is Leela and I will help you with the question today.The cost on AWS would mostly be same irrespective on the location. As you are saying most of your viewers are from Ireland, you can PLAN to host your videos in a Content Distribution Network optimized for Ireland so that your users have great user experience with minimal delay. You are planning to HOST Video Streaming Service on AWS and use Amazon CloudFront to provide great user experience. In order to find estimated cost of hosting a service on AWS, we can use the Calculator. The link you provided is the RIGHT LINK for the calculator. But inorder to arrive at estimated cost we need to FIND what all AWS services we would be using and approximately the volume of those services. Do you have deployment architecture for your service on AWS? If so, please share the same and I can help you with the costs. Please note that AWS charges for OUTGOING traffic and we have to use RIGHT combination of services to ensure costs are minimal and also user experience is great. Especially when you can PREROLL videos that can save lot of money and also provide great user experience. If you want I can help you with AWS deployment architecture for your service incase you donot have one. I got trained on architecting on AWS by AWS experts and I can help you with this. Thanks,Leela
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great. I'd like to work with you. Can we discuss it directly via email? I have some estimates regarding traffic & volumes. I will need you to ask the correct questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***@******.***
OK. Sure.