JamesI
JamesI, Consultant
Experience:  20 years managing and supporting IT infrastructures from end users through to design of cloud based systems.
75967336

I am starting an app business and I want to use a white

Customer Question

I am starting an app business and I want to use a white label product in the beginning as it will be a low cost way of testing the market and finding out what works and what doesnt in the market.
They will be using Microsoft Azure and I will be buying developer licenses so that when the app is in the market it will look like it is owned by me.My question is how easy is i to migrate a white label app to a bespoke app. The app is a retail app so there will be data about users etc which I can export to spreadsheets.Also when the new app is built, we will need to send it as an update for the people that have the white label app. Will that be possible?Thanks
Category: Programming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is more info needed for this question?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

There are a few challenges you may face, the first is building the GUI so that it has low coupling, if the GUI is built so when you change the platform you have to completely redesign it you will need to publish it as a separate app. This can be overcome as you design a link which says the platform is about to be decommissioned click here to be taken to the new version on the app store (but this will result in your use number dropping by circa 25%).

You have already touched on the need to retain user data, and clearly exporting the back end database to CSV or similar would allow you to import user data in the app, just remember when it comes to building the final platform you need to consider a way of importing legacy users into the back end.

In summary providing you build the app so you can still call the same SOAP method and own the URL, migrating to another platform is simple, as you just point the URL to your new back end, and ensure when you build the new platform you use the same SOAP methods.

Please let me know if you need anything clarified

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks James. What is SOAP please?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Its the mechanism \ protocol behind the web service, the webpage here explains it rather well.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

I havent heard back from you in the last few day, appreciate if you can rate the service received, and let me know if you have any further questions.

James