Russell H.
Russell H., Programmer & Coder
Experience:  Programmer & Coder
13568747

I I have a google chrome cast and I'm on holiday in another

I
Hi there
I have a google chrome cast and I'm on holiday in another part of the UK. I've plugged the chrome cast in and it says 'can't find usual wifi network' we have at home. We have full wifi at our holiday cottage. What do I need to do? Thanks! Jill
Category: Programming
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You will need to connect the Chromecast to the WiFi at your cottage, obviously. Are you ready to proceed with that? if so, and when you are, I will instruct you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks

OK...

You will need a smart-phone or a tablet, to set up the Chromecast with. Do you have such a device to do the setup/configuration of the Chromecast device?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My screen says ''Scruffy' (my home chrimecast name) can't find the 'SKY1D000' wifi network. Run the google home app to connect to new network .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an iPad.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there, thanks Jill

I'm here still...

OK. Does your iPad have the Google Home app on it? (I wouldn't think so, being that it is an Apple device, but it is faintly possible.)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It has an app with. Big G on it that I have signed in with my google account...

OK... Is that the Google Home app, though? it should be.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is. I can't see on it where to change network...

Is your iPad connected to the cottage WiFi? it should be.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is.

OK! then go to this link on your iPad:

http://chromecast.com/setup

(or else go to https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chromecast/id680819774?mt=8

to get the Google Home app, if you prefer.)

You can setup with Bluetooth or with WiFi. Let's go with WiFi - fewer complexities in it, in some ways.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I'll try that...

OK, then. Once you have Google Home on your iPad, by either of the two methods I mentioned - and from the screen-shot you posted to me, I don't think you do - the 'G' app / icon is probably something else - one you have Google Home, then you connect the WiFi of the iPad to the ChromecastXXX (or similar name) WiFi network near you - just look for available wireless networks to connect to, and the Chromecast device should be there for your iPad to connect to.

Then: having Google Home, having connected by WiFi to the Chromecast device...

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got it. The G google app wasn't the right home app, I've got the right one from App Store. Thanks fir your help! I never knew it was the wrong one. Jill

Do you need further instructions?

If so, in outline: Google Home, once your WiFi is connected to the Chromecast device, should show your Chromecast device, you select your Chromecast device in Google Home, then you

proceed through matching codes on iPad and on TV, then ... by and by you select the WiFi network, which would be the WiFi at your cottage.

And by and by, your Chromecast should be set up for use at the cottage. Enjoy your vacation and your Chromecast, and before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done.

(If you need further guidance, be sure to let me know and I'll continue helping you.)