technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

Acer Aspire R3700

Customer Question

I cannot connect my Acer Aspire R3700 wirelessly to a network  I have been waiting for sometime - over 1 hour Tony

Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Are you able to see your wireless network ? If so, what happens when you try to connect? What is the status when you click on the wireless network connection in the lower right hand corner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Says no connection available

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No connection available

Tony,

Please give me more details on your wireless setup so I can assist. Do you have a wireless network available that you are currently using on another computer or device? We need to know there is indeed a working wireless network that the computer can see and connect to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes my wireless network is working perfectly with other computers

Tony,

1) Is this a new problem with this computer? Has the wireless adapter worked before?

2) Please right click on the network icon in the lower right corner, and left click to troubleshoot. Follow through this wizard, and please tell me the results , including any messages or errors. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please install ethernet cord

Tony,

Please answer/complete the following so I can better assist:

2) Click start, then control panel, then network/sharing center. Then, on the left, click "change adapter settings". In the window that opens tell me how many net connections you see, the names of them, and the status listed. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Local Area Connection " Network Cable Unplugged" Realtech ........Family

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
will have to pause for 1hr 30 mins as I have to take my dogs for their usual walk.

Tony
Tony,

It looks like your computer sees no wireless connection. Is this a new problem with this computer? Has the wireless adapter worked before?

Please do not relist your question, but just respond when you can. Thank You.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it has worked previously

Tony,

Please check on your laptop for a wireless SWITCH. Aside from complete failure of the wireless adapter, this is likely the culprit. Documentation on these can be fuzzy, but the switch, if present, should be in one of two places. One would be a physical switch somewhere on the laptop itself. It may be small , on the side, etc. so look carefully and if you find it , ensure it is on. The other place would be to look for your Function (fn) key combos along the top of your keyboard. You should see an icon representing your wireless (usually an antenna). Hold the Fn key and then press to toggle this on and off.

Please remember to rate positively. I strive for excellent service! Rating costs you nothing more, and a positive rating helps me. I'm always here for any follow up questions you may have, and follow up after rating for no additional fee. Thank You!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Acer Aspire R3700 is not a laptop.It is a pc

Tony,

Yes, that is an interesting little PC. At first glance I assumed it was a laptop. It's not, so that means the wireless adapter , if on board, would be enabled/disabled in the BIOS on the computer (press specified key when you power on the computer). From the BIOS , look for "peripheral" or related settings.

Before you check the BIOS, please also check to make sure the adapter is not disabled in device manager. Click start, then in the search box type
devmgmt.msc
Then, press enter.When device manager loads, you should see no ? or ! marks on the list. Also, expand your network devices list, and make sure the wireless isn't there and disabled. IF it is , enable it.

Between device manager or the BIOS, these are really your only two likely culprits. We can also try a driver refresh , but this isn't likely to work if the computer is not recognizing the wireless at all. Keep in mind that the wireless adapter is an option on this PC, so be sure that it was working before, because not all R3700's shipped with wireless.