Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Recently, the wireless connection on my custom built PC has

Customer Question

Recently, the wireless connection on my custom built PC has stopped working correctly.

It used to get a connection speed of roughly 9Mbps but recently for whatever reasons it's getting a max of 3Mbps.

I use a Asus Wi-fi go to connect using wireless, I'm also on Windows 8 if that helps.

Please bear in mind, that it DID used to connect at the proper speed, so it's not a compatibility issue with windows 8.

All other computers/phones in the house connect at the correct speed.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I suspect that your PC may be suffering from a signal interference phenomenon. The key words that suggest that, in your question, are: "other computers/phones in the house connect at the correct speed."

Please confirm (or deny) that your other computers and/or phones use the Wifi connection - at least some of them - and that one or more of them have been moved (or, that at least one of them moves about some) since just before the time when you noticed the drop in connection speed for your PC.

This is a guess, so I'm not presenting it as an Answer yet. One way to test it out is, simply, to turn Off all other WiFi using devices in the house... except the wireless router and your computer that has the problem.

Let me know as to the above mentioned points, please. If I happen by chance to be completely wrong, I will either try for a better answer, or Opt Out. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Russell,

All computers/phones in the house use the same connection, yes. None of them have been moved though.

I have two laptops right next to this computer and they connect at the correct speed. They have always been in the same spot.

*I currently share the connection from one laptop to the PC via DSL cable to achieve the proper speed I should be getting*

I've tried disconnecting all other wireless computers etc already but the problem still occurs.

Strictly there's no such thing as a 'DSL cable', so I don't get a good understanding of what's going on there from the way you have described it.

But: if the internet connection is being shared, you are aware that some of the bandwidth, and possibly some of the speed, is going to the laptop.

Have you tried shutting down the laptop in question, turning it off, and disabling the internet connection sharing? that might restore your PC's connection speed (as well as, for certain, the full bandwidth.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mean an Ethernet cable. Not sure why I call it a DSL cable haha.

Yes, I'm aware of that BUT I only share the connection so that I CAN get near-full speed on this PC.

If I un-plug the laptop I use to share the internet, shut it down etc and just the wireless connection on this PC instead, I get the low connection speed as mentioned.

It's strange, huh?

I've worked with PC's for years and understand them more than the average person (so I've tried all the normal stuff) - the fact that it USED to work and now doesn't 100% work baffles me as everything has stayed the same...

Well, clearly something has changed somewhere... just don't know where!

How recently did it definitely work at the normal/optimun speed?

Have you gone into Device Manager and checked the settings for your PC's wireless card? If it had been switched to Wireless-B mode (or something other than the either -G or doubtfully -N mode that is its normal signal mode) then that might explain the problem, since -B mode is rather slow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was about 2 months ago it was working at the correct speeds.

I don't see anywhere in the device manager settings for the wireless card where it mentions what mode it's running?

That's astonishing.

What kind of wireless card (maker and model # or the like) do you have in the PC?

(Note: I'm on the East Coast of the USA, and it's past midnight here. I will be offline - sleeping - for about 6 hours or so. I hope that's understandable. I will resume the case then.)