Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I have connected my kindle fire into my laptop, it supports

Customer Question

I have connected my kindle fire into my laptop, it supports windows 8 but it does not show up on it. I have tried 3 different leads, rebutted the kindle and laptop but no joy. When i plug it in it makes a sound as if it is connecting but does no show up on my commuter.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

You may have to reset the Kindle for it to connect. Otherwise, you are doing the right things - usually changing the port will work if it doesn't work on the port it's connected to. But if not, then the reset may be necessary.

To do a soft reset, slide and hold the power button until the device restarts. It should take fewer than 5 seconds. However, if that reset doesn't allow it to be seen by the computer, you may have to do a hard reset. A hard reset will completely reset the device and delete anything stored on it. You won't lose any books that you've purchased because they will just download again when after you go through the setup. To do a hard reset, slide and hold the power for a full 20 seconds - when you are approaching 20 seconds, you should see it two what appears to be a second reset. Once that happens, it will take a few minutes to start up and bring you throught the setup process. LIke I said, you should only have to do this if the soft reset doesn't work. If neither works, let me know and we'll try some other troubleshooting measures.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no slide and hold, it is just a button when you press it asks if you want to shut down. there is no slide on it?

Sorry, Christopher - I should have mentioned that. Yes, that's correct. Most Kindles have a slide power button, but not all. The instructions are the same, except press and hold instead of slide.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no luck, i have pressed and held for twenty seconds still not showing, although when you turn it on and off again it makes that sound on the laptop but not showing at all.

Are you trying to get it to show up as a storage device to move files to and from it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, to show up on my computer

Christopher, you might need to do a hard reset. It doesn't sound like that occurred because it would have gone through the setup again. But before you do that - have you been able to see it OK prior to this... I mean, was it showing up on this laptop? If so, then proceed.

Also, make sure you check in the Devices and Printers control panel of Windows 8:
Open Devices and Printers by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Devices and Printers in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Devices and Printers.

I have a blog post with the hard reset procedures that has a picture of each Kindle so you can use the procedure that matches your kindle, which will make it easier. Just find your model on the left and use that procedure to do the hard reset. You can find that here:
http://brainchamber.com/2013/06/15/kindle-reset-procedures/

If you still have a problem we can address it again.

BTW... if you normally keep your Kindle locked, another thing you can try is connecting the Kindle when it is locked and then unlocking it after it is recognized by the computer.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it shows unspecified in the devices and printers and the kindle is there, when i click on it and the the kindle icon it says drivers not installed code 28

Ok, in that case, unplug the Kindle from the computer and right click to remove the Kindle and if there is a second device that is unspecified, do the same for that, then plug the kindle back in.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

removed the cable and then went to devices but Kindle was gone

Ok, then we'll go into the hardware troubleshooter and let that check it. You never answered my question about whether you have had this working properly on that laptop or not?

Here are the instructions to start the device troubleshooter:

a) Press Windows key + W on your keyboard to show the Charms bar.

b) Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting under Settings.

c) Now type Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter in the search.

d) Click on Hardware troubleshooter to run the troubleshooter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, no never worked on the laptop it is new,

Did what you said and it comes up with no driver for no specified device.

I clicked on find driver and it said "unknown device does not have a driver"

I may have assumed too much, Christopher. I thought you had already been using the Kindle connected to the laptop. There are actually several steps you have to go through to prepair the computer for the connection if you want to access the Kindle as a mass storage device. It is primarily used for application development.

First, you'll have to enable the ADB interface, then remove the device, then manually install the drivers from the Amazon Android SDK.

Are you sure this is something you want/need? There are other ways to get documents to your Kindle (which Amazon prefers, which is why this is a bit complicated), like through your Kindle email address. Most Kindle devices are not by default accessable as mass storage devices like a generic android device. You can still do it using the SDK, but it's not all that useful. Here is the link to the SDK, drivers, and instructions on how to install it.
http://brainchamber.com/yourls/9Ftz8i

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is a kindle fire and I travel a lot so I want to upload some video to the laptop and in turn download to kindle.

Since Amazon doesn't offer the drivers outside of the SDK for Windows 8 for the Fire, I'll give you something else to try - this is a bit of backdoor approach since these are not supposed to be distributed separately, but it will save you some time rather than having to mess with the SDK.
http://brainchamber.com/yourls/lUiKxW

Mike