Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Dual Monitor Detected But Not Displaying. Today I thought

Customer Question

Dual Monitor Detected But Not Displaying.

Today I thought I would whip out the spare monitor and use it as a secondary monitor.

My PC detects the second monitor, but will not display anything on it.

I've tried different cables, booting with just one monitor etc and everything is fine there. (I'm guessing it's not a cable problem as it does detect the monitor)

Graphics cards is a HD 7970. One monitor is connected the standard VGA cable and the other with a mini-port adapter

Any suggestions?

Edit: I have setup the desktop to "extend" and I can move the mouse cursor beyond the boundaries of my main desktop. But because the secondary monitor isn't displaying... the cursor goes into the abyss.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Thank You!! for posting your Question.My name is SUDIPTO and today I will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

What type of mini-port adapter you are using, do you mean the port, which we generally connect with the USB port ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One monitor is used by using a DVI-VGA adapter and the other is connected to the graphics cards mini-display port using a DVI-to minport convertoer

Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Can you try to duplicate the display, instead of extending it and let me know the result ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried that just now. It just makes my primary monitor go to a very small resolution. Nothing happens on the secondary monitor.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Did you have tried to inter change the connection of the monitors ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I've tried that. The other monitor then works correctly, and the other one doesn't show up.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
Don,t you have HDMI port on your monitors ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not on my monitor, no. But there is a HDMI port on the graphics cards.

Although I don't have a HDMI, convertor so I can't connect my monitor to it.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 years ago.
That seems to be the mini converter, as you can see that, when a monitor is connected with the mini converter, it is not working anymore, did you tried to use a different converter ?