Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I cannot get my new xbox 360 controller to work on my windows

Customer Question

I cannot get my new xbox 360 controller to work on my windows 7 pc
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX and I would be happy to assist you today.

What software are you trying to use with the controller?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris

I have loaded core productions tomb raider this version was originally

for playstation but has been reworked to run on Microsoft windows

98 xp vista and 7 . I have installed soft ware that came with the

controller and it seems to connect but only the forward ..back. and side

to side button works hope you can help many thanks John.L

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.

John,

It sounds like you just do not have the proper software installed for the controller. Have you installed the software from this website?

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

If not download the software and give it a shot. Make sure you download the correct version. If you are running 64 bit then get the 64 bit. Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris

I have just downloaded software as suggested but it tells me I have already got this software installed ,Many thanks

John.L

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.

John,

If that is the message you are getting you probably have the software setup properly. I am not familiar with the Tomb Raider game you are trying to use it with, but perhaps some configuration is needed. For games that do not have support built in for a particular controller such as your 360, you have to set up a Key Map. I am not sure if you are familiar with this. Lets say in Tomb Raider the key to jump was the space bar. You would have to setup the control pad software so that space bar was linked to a particular button such as A, B, a thumb stick ext. You assign a button for every key on the keyboard.

If you are unsure of how to do this I wouldn't mind doing a screen share session with you to try and figure this out. If you are interested let me know. I will be available for a while tonight. If not we can set something up for a later time.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
John I updated my response as you viewed it. Please go back and take a look at what I was saying.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris I understand what you are saying but I don't know how to assign the key pad buttons to the controller .As it is getting a bit late now

can I contact you tomorrow an give it a try ? thanks for help so far

John.L

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
John

I believe the software you downloaded is only the drivers for the controller. I believe you will need another program to actually configure your games. I looked it up and many websites talk about using a program called Xpadder. There might be some others. If you want I could look into this a bit more for you and then try and help you get something working tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chris that sounds good will contact you tomorrow many thanks

John.L

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi chris

have spoken to local pc world where I purchased controller

from they say that it should auto assign because Microsoft controller

should work with Microsoft game ,They suggest that it may be a faulty

controller? perhaps I should try that first?

Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
John,

I don't know what they are referring to when they are saying to use auto assign. If you can not select your controller from within the game or only get the option of using the keyboard, then you will have to use what I was talking about. The best software to do this seems to be Xpadder. It use to be free but now it cost 10.00 USD to download. It makes your controller emulate the keyboard allowing you to play any game that does not have built in support for your controller. If it is a Microsoft game then perhaps they are right that it should support the controller. I would think you would have to set this up from within the game itself though. The 360 controller software is just the driver needed to make Windows recognize the device. What Tomb Raider Game/Version is this?
Expert:  Chris R. replied 3 years ago.
Just checking up with you to see if you still need help getting the controller working. If so let me know a time that is good for you and we can continue. I am on Eastern Time US and Canada, but I am flexible. Thank you.

Chris R