Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

my sony VPCF12Z1E is nearly 3 years old and was in need for

Customer Question

my sony VPCF12Z1E is nearly 3 years old and was in need for a rebuild have done that now but it keeps freezing then the fan kicks in when I am uploading a video or during the wiondows updates etc, it seems any time it's under any kind of pressure but for a laptop of this calibur i7 etc I'm surprised it can't cope with this, I've not had this problem before except for a game that had started freezing on about a month ago and one of the reasons I decided to rebuild.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question.

When you refer to the rebuild - are you referring to the operating system itself, or was there hardware changed?

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, what I mean is I removed all my photos/videos and documents and then did the full install with the 3 discs I had to make when I first bought the laptop so all I have done is put those discs in in the order the the computer told me to, it did state that nothing would be saved (pics/docs/vids etc) I have done this before with this laptop and have never had a problem.

Julie, based on the series of events, it sounds like the freezing isn't a symptom of the rebuild - but that the rebuild didn't correct the problem. Does that sound accurate?

Also, your description of the fan kicking in is extremely helpful because it indicates that something - either the CPU or the GPU is overheating. While this CAN be indicitive of a hardware problem, it's more likely that it's something you can rememdy without too much trouble.

What I suggest is getting some compressed air, and throughly cleaning out all the vents - all air ducts that go to/from the main board. This is where the processors get vented to and when they are not getting enough ventillation, the fans will speed up to try to cool it down... then it will eventually either lock up or shut down. If this is a problem that has been progressing over time, then that is by far the most likely cause. There are some other possibilities with hardware (thermal paste on the processor, etc), and a small possibility that it is being caused by malware (unlikely because of your rebuild). So I would definitely try the through cleaning first before considering the other possibilities. Also, and this is something you've probaly already gathered - when testing the computer to see if it will overheat, it should be on a hard flat surface to allow for proper ventillation - many laptops when put on your lap or (like I do), put on your bed, can overheat from the airflow being obstructed. I know you've had it for three years, and I only mention that in case your patterns of where or how you use it have changed. If not, and it wasn't hapenning before, then it's not the cause.

Let me know if that sounds like a logical step to you and what teh outcome is. If you still have the problem, we can check some additional things.

Mike