Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

Since Ive had a new router my wont connect wirelessly. The

Customer Question

Since I've had a new router my won't connect wirelessly. The router is working and Talktalk say it's a problem with my mac.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you,

Did you setup the wireless on the new router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's been set up by Talktalk

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
What is the make/model of your router?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Huawei HG533

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information.

Does your wireless network appear in the wireless network list on your Mac when searching for a connection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
What is the error message that you receive on your Mac when you try to connect?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just says 'computer timeout'

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Do you mind if we do a screen sharing session so I can view the issue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
navigate to http://166.78.231.170:8040/ and type in the code "1".
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Helen,

I apologize but the chat program froze and I was unable to talk to you.

Are you trying to connect to your wireless network while you are plugged in with an ethernet cable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I've tried without

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
  1. n the top-right corner of your Mac's screen, click the AirPort icon and select Turn AirPort On, if available.

Airport
  2. From the list of available networks that are within range, select your wireless network name.

Select router
  3. Enter the wireless password XXXXX click OK.

Note: This is case sensitive and must exactly match the wireless password XXXXX up on your wireless router.

Password
  4. Unplug your Ethernet cable
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still not working!!!

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Same error message?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Does it say 'Computer timeout' or 'Connection timeout'?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry connection timeout

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
How far away are you from the wireless router when you attempt to connect?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the next room. It worked fine with the previous router

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
As a test, try sitting in front of the router while connecting to see if the distance was the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried that it still doesn't work

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
OK let's try resetting the router..

While it is powered on, press the reset hole on the back of your router with a paper clip and hold it down for 30 seconds. Make sure it 'clicks' in when you press it, you'll hear or feel it even though the hole is very tiny. While still holding down the reset button, sharply unplug the router from power, and wait 30 seconds. Finally, plug the router back into power (all while still holding the reset button), and wait another 30 seconds.

Essentially during the whole process you're not letting go of the reset hole, it can be a little tricky so please take your time and let me know once you've done that and we'll continue with the next steps.

Now we can recreate the wireless network...

Open a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, type 192.168.1.1 into the Address bar and press Enter on your keyboard
Open web browser

2. Enter admin as the username, and admin as the password

Router Login

3. Click Quick Start on the left menu

Quick Start

4. Enter the Wireless Network Name (SSID). This is the name your router will broadcast so enter something recognisable to you.

Network name

5. Enter the Wireless Network Password. Make a note of this password, as you will need it to connect other devices to your network

Password

6. Click Connect

Connect

When you change the wireless details on your router you will need to set up the wireless on your computer for the new details

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So do I need to make up my own network name and password?

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Yes, whatever you would like for them to be.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Confused! I put in admin and admin but it isn't coming up with the 'quickstart' page. You show windows I think not mac

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Do you see Wireless Network?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's asking me to enter the username and password for the router

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Are you using..

admin for both username and password?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It wont let me now. Need to go now cos I've spent 2hrs now still to no avail!! I'm just getting nowhere!!

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Did change the password?

You can come back at anytime that you are available to resolve this issue. Please remember not to rate a negative response while we are working on the issue as it will only cause delays in the response time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My problem is still not resolved. The problem seems to be that my mac can't connect to the router. It says the password is invalid but I'm using the password on the back of the router.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Helen,

28 days ago, I had you create your own network name and wireless password; please use that password to connect.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't done that because it didn't work and I didn't have the time to start all over again. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the router as other wireless devices will connect to the internet using the network name and password, the problem is that my mac tells me the password is invalid.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Are you typing the password exactly as it is shown? (With capital letters, etc)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes exactly!

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Okay please follow my steps for resetting the router; here they are again..

3. Click Quick Start on the left menu

6. Click Connect

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you explain to me what the point of this is. Surely if the mac wont recognise the current one it's not going to recognise a new one.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Helen,

I cannot help you if you are unwilling to follow my help. I suggested rebooting the router 28 days ago and you responded back stating that you didn't follow my steps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But what I'm asking is that if the mac doesn't recognise the present password how will changing the network name and password help? I'm asking for information. I'm not saying I wont do it.

Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Helen,

If you do not wish to reset the router then please let me know so I can opt out for another expert to help you.

The reset would take 5-10 minutes and it could have already been accomplished.