Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

how do I recover my notebook PC without my password ? I do

Customer Question

how do I recover my notebook PC without my password ? I do not have any backup discs !
MY PC is HP ENVY m6 Notebook Pc
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

What did you mean by "recovering" your notebook, are you saying that the notebook works just fine but then you forgot your password to sign in to your computer?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, I forgot my password and my fingerprint recognition went on the blink it was erased due to my actions previously undertaken

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
George,

Thank you for writing back. I just want to confirm the actual scenario before giving you any advice.

So your computer now works just fine but you cannot use it because you cannot login to your Windows screen? If this is the case, then I can give you procedures to recover or clear the password so that you can load Windows without the password.

Please confirm what password prompt is blocking you from using the computer.

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes the password prompt is blocking me

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
George,

There are several password prompts. Is it the Windows password prompt like this screen shot below?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I believe it is but as am running a start up test and it has just completed it will be a few minutes to be definite.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
George,

Please take your time. Let me know when the test is done and if the image I gave you is exactly the password prompt you are having trouble with.

Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I was wrong it has a blank image and to the right it has

g.johnston184 and just below it in an oblong box it has password with an arrow at the end of the box

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry no it isn't the image ! on screen I have a blank image and to the right an elongated box, insert asks for password

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
George,

I believe that you are using Windows 8 and this is your Windows 8 password prompt. By the way, are you using your Windows account to sign in to your Windows 8 computer?

If you are using your Microsoft account, then you can RESET the password online using a working computer, then enter that new password into your Windows 8 computer.

To reset your Microsoft Account password, please click on this link and follow the on screen procedures to reset your password.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've tried this but its not working !

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 years ago.
George,

Can you tell me which is not working? Were you able to RESET the Windows Account that you are using in your Windows 8 computer using the link that I gave you? Or you are not using a Winodws account in your Windows 8?

Jess