Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I seem to have lost the connection between computer and printer,

Customer Question

I seem to have lost the connection between computer and printer, although all electrics appear to be working.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please clarify the conditions and details of your question a little, so as to make it possible for me to produce a good answer:

- What is the maker and model # of your printer?

- What is your printer's age (measured from its date of purchase as a new device) ?

- What type of computer do you have, a Windows PC, or an Apple computer running MAC OS X?

- Is the printer configured to print wirelessly, or is it printing through a networking cable, or is it directly attached to the computer with a USB cable?

- Was the printer's contemporary configuration working previously?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Printer: Canon MP495, about 12 months old. I have an Apple computer running MAC OS X, printer attached directly to the computer with a USB cable. It has been working well until now.

The first (basic) thing to do in this sort of circumstance is to open the
Print & Scan
(or Print & Fax)
window in System Preferences, and then click on the printer as listed there, and click the - button, then confirm that you want to Delete Printer.

Then wait a bit, like a minute or so, and then click the + button in the Print & Scan (or Print & Fax) pane, and Add the printer back into the system, which is done by choosing it from the list, etc.

That sometimes gets a printer working again under these circumstances.

If it does not do so in this case, please let me know what version of MAC OS X your computer has (which can be found by clicking on the many-colored apple logo and then choosing About This Mac.)

(Please let me know what result the above has. Thanks.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Instructions completed up to "Add printer back to system" where it got stuck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.7.5

Thanks. I think you have established that the printer doesn't connect to the computer... or respond to it... or the like. But there is a detail I must ask about: when the 'Add printer back to system' is performed, what error message is produced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No error message

If there is no error message, then how does the Add Printer process fail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just comes to a halt and is unresponsive

Since this is a MAC OS X 10.7 system, and I am not that much of a MAC OS X Expert, I am opening this case to other Experts here who fit that description.

But in summary, I have determined: your printer problem is probably a problem with MAC OS X. If it is a problem with the printer, then if the printer's 'about 12 months' age is actually a little less than a year, then you should turn the printer in to Canon as defective within the warranty - which expires at the end of a year from the purchase date.

(If the printer is networked, rather than connected directly to the computer with a USB cable, then you might possibly have a networking problem, of course.)

One last thing to try:

1. turn off and disconnect the Canon printer, both from the power source and from the computer. Leave it that way until asked to by the installation routine, or until the installation is done.

2. Remove the printer from the printers list, if it is listed there.

3. Remove any program associated with the operation of the Canon MX870, if there are any.

4. Reboot your computer.

5. Download your new driver for this printer, for MAC OS 10.7 of course, from:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp495#DriversAndSoftware

and click once on the 'Select Operating System' control (somewhat lower down on the page), and select
MAC OS
and then click once on the 'Select OS Version' control, and select
OS X v10.7 Lion.
Then click once on the Drivers link, and download the MP495 Series CUPS Printer Driver, which is a DMG file. (That's the second driver in the list... if your printer is networked, download the first driver, the IJ Driver, instead.)

(For the scanner functions, also download the MX495 series Scanner Driver, which is also a DMG file.)

6. Install software from the DMG file... which should, once downloaded, be mountable as a disk-like entity, then readable from for various files/programs, to run or copy as needed for the install.

That should do it... if not, then I would call Canon at once to check whether the printer is still covered by warranty... after trying a different USB port and/or a different USB cable.

- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be your Primary Care Technician and I can assist you with your question. I may be able to provide some additional information. Once you have removed the printer, please try resetting the Mac Printing system. Here is how you do that:
  1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
  2. Click Print & Scan .
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl + click) your printer in the list on the left side of the window, and then click Reset printing system .
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type your user name and password in the Name and Password text fields.
  6. Click OK . The printing system resets.
  7. Click the Add button.
  8. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add . It might take a few seconds before your printer displays in the Printers list.

Source: http://brainchamber.com/2013/07/15/reset-printing-system-on-mac-osx-10-7-lion/

Please let me know if you have any questions or if that doesn't work and we can try some other things to see if we can find out what the problem is.

Mike

Hello. I'm just following up with you to find out if you were able to correct the problem with your printer by resetting the printing system. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, please remember to rate my level of service below when you have a moment. Thank you.

Mike
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - and sorry not to have been more communicative as I had a few other things on my mind in the meantime. Your help was great and I think all is well now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I'm glad to hear that the printer is working again.

Thank you for making good use of the advisory resources of JustAnswer.com. Feel welcome to stop back anytime to ask any other question you may need to ask an Expert in any one of our numerous categories.