Since this is a MAC OS X 10.7 system, and I am not that much of a MAC OS X Expert, I am opening this case to other Experts here who fit that description.
But in summary, I have determined: your printer problem is probably a problem with MAC OS X. If it is a problem with the printer, then if the printer's 'about 12 months' age is actually a little less than a year, then you should turn the printer in to Canon as defective within the warranty - which expires at the end of a year from the purchase date.
(If the printer is networked, rather than connected directly to the computer with a USB cable, then you might possibly have a networking problem, of course.)
One last thing to try:
1. turn off and disconnect the Canon printer, both from the power source and from the computer. Leave it that way until asked to by the installation routine, or until the installation is done.
2. Remove the printer from the printers list, if it is listed there.
3. Remove any program associated with the operation of the Canon MX870, if there are any.
4. Reboot your computer.
5. Download your new driver for this printer, for MAC OS 10.7 of course, from:http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp495#DriversAndSoftware
and click once on the 'Select Operating System' control (somewhat lower down on the page), and selectMAC OS
and then click once on the 'Select OS Version' control, and select OS X v10.7 Lion
Then click once on the Drivers link, and download the MP495 Series CUPS Printer Driver, which is a DMG file. (That's the second driver in the list... if your printer is networked, download the first driver, the IJ Driver, instead.)
(For the scanner functions, also download the MX495 series Scanner Driver, which is also a DMG file.)
6. Install software from the DMG file... which should, once downloaded, be mountable as a disk-like entity, then readable from for various files/programs, to run or copy as needed for the install.
That should do it... if not, then I would call Canon at once to check whether the printer is still covered by warranty... after trying a different USB port and/or a different USB cable.
- If there is anything lacking in this answer, please " Reply " letting me know, and I will try to improve upon my answer.
- If this is the Answer that helps with the issue, then rating my Answer positively would be appreciated.