hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
40928634

My c drive keeps losing space even though I am not saving anything

Customer Question

My c drive keeps losing space even though I am not saving anything to it. Recently moved all my itunes off it to an external drive but still it will not retain any space.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Jess :

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat....

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

ready now

Jess :

Thank you for joining chat. Are you using that computer now? Or using a different computer to chat with me?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

using the same computer

Jess :

Alright. What is the current FREE space in that computer? We need to install some tool to look for the culprit, and installing the said tool requires some space too...

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

there is only 73 mb on the C drive

Jess :

Alright, in order to check which folder or area of your hard drive is occupied and what files are stored there, please download and install this tool:

Jess :

That is the tool, click on that link to download it. After downloading, please install it and then run the scan to see what accumulated files you have and where they are stored.

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

ok so go ahead and do that now?

Jess :

Yes please.

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

ok have run the scan

Jess :

Good to know that. What folder is taking up a lot of space?

Jess :

The scan may take some time to finish...please take your time

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

two stand out - 30, 935 mb of program data and 37,782 windows

Jess :

Is the scan complete?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

yeah seems to be

Jess :

You will see if the scan is complete if the bars are no longer progressing...

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

that is correct. is no longer progressing

Jess :

Ok. One more thing, do you have only 1 hard disk on this computer like Drive C?

Jess :

Some computers have a smaller drive C but another drive has bigger free space

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

I have a C drive. I also have a D Drive which I moved lots of files to. (it has 65gb free of 69) I also recently added an external drive to move my itunes to.

Jess :

Alright, is this D drive a logical drive partition of Drive C? Or is this another physical drive that you added to the computer?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

it was an original part of the computer.

Jess :

A logical drive is simply a division of a single drive. For instance if you have 1 drive, you can divide it to 3 to have Drive C, D and E

Jess :

Ok, so your Drive C is 69Gig and Drive D has 69Gig also?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

yep

Jess :

Alright, based on the scan using the tool I gave you, the files that occupied your disk are Windows and your installed programs

Jess :

So this means that your hard disk drive is just too small to fit the programs you installed. Have you tried uninstalling unused programs?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

I have uninstalled loads of programmes, does not seem to make any difference. I recently rebooted my whole computer. If i uninstall a programme it seems to free up space for maybe a day or so and then just returns to no space.

Jess :

Are you doing a daily backup of your system?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

A backup? dont know.

Jess :

Ok, so the problem could not be the backup since you did not set a daily backup yourself.

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

Is there any way of checking that?

Jess :

You are running Vista, please try to go to Start => All Programs => Accessories. Is Windows Backup listed there? Click on it to open it.

Jess :

If you don't see it there, click on Start => Control Panel => clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore Center.

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

no...automatic back up is not set up

Jess :

Alright, so that is NOT the source of the problem

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

seems to be a lot tmp files in windows...is that normal?

Jess :

Now, as I analyzed your file size reported by the tool, it is a normal file distribution and the source of the problem is the disk space itself since you only have 69Gig of space.

Jess :

Now, we need to do a cleanup so that UNWANTED files will be removed from your drive, including Temp files, files in the recycle bin, and other orphaned files.

Jess :

There orphaned files are the leftovers when you uninstall a program

Jess :

Please give me a moment to give you the procedures.

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

to my way of thinking I should have at least 20 gb free.

Jess :

How did you derive that 20GB free space count?

Jess :

Or are you saying, you must have at least that much?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

well yes at least that much...considering i removed 28 gb of itunes files from the c drive.

Jess :

Alright, I understand.... Now, please bookmark this page so that you can get back to me easily since you will be required to close your web browser during the cleanup. Please tell me when you have bookmarked this page or added to your Favorites

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

ok have bookmarked

Jess :

Cool... Now, please click on this link below and then follow the detailed procedures in using a cleanup tool called CCleaner.

Jess :

The most important part of the procedure is the "Cleaner" part since the tool will scan your computer for unwanted files, temp files and orphaned files

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

ok will do that now

Jess :

You just then Run Cleaner to remove all that unwanted files.

Jess :

The procedures regarding the "Registry" is just optional but you can do it to.

Jess :

I will be standing by here for you... If you need to close this chat page, please get back to me using the bookmarked page.

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

i dont have enough space to download it...can i download it to a different drive?

Jess :

Yes, you can....

Jess :

please uninstall just one program so that you can install CCleaner after downloading it....

Jess :

But you need to install it in Drive C

Jess :

Were you able to download it now?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

no cant do..tried to uninstall some programmes to make room. But not letting me uninstall any of my programmes...saying i dont have enough space...

Jess :

What is the current free disk space now?

Jess :

You mentioned 73mb before

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

it is still saying that...which you would think is enough as only asking for 14 mb to download sparktrust

Jess :

what is sparktrust?

JACUSTOMER-jsrbq1mn- :

the pc cleaner your link brought me to

Jess :

Please download CCleaner, it is only less than 5mb

Jess :

Please download CCleaner from this link:

Jess :

It is only 4.2MB

Jess :

Please give that a try and let me know

Jess :

It appears you're offline now.... I will be waiting here so that we can resume the process

Jess :

How is it going?

Jess :

Hi, were you able to perform the cleanup procedures that I gave you? Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 years ago.
Please try something for me which if doesn't work then carry on with the suggestions made by my colleague Jess.

If you boot your computer into safe mode, by tapping the f8 key as you turn on the computer and choosing "safe mode" from the selection, does your C: drive now show the correct free space?
Hello there did you see my information request?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes I did. I booted computer in safe mode but did not have any bearing on space shown.

Thank you for your reply

Please right click "My Computer" and choose properties.

Next choose the Advanced tab and press the bottom button for settings.

What is your "small mini dump" set to please?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on holiday and not back until 17th aug. What is ''small mini dump''?

Thank you for your replyTwo things I'd like you to try since booting to safe mode didn't change the available space.It is a log file that can get quite large depending on how it is set.1) Firstly at the start button select run and type %SystemRoot%\Minidump and see if there is a log file there. Check the size and you can determine if that is using up your space.2) Type in %temp% at the start>run and delete the temporary files as these an also take up lots of space.3) Finally delete the old Norton Live Updates that have accumulated as they can also consume space.Follow this procedure to do that:http://www.ehow.com/how_7223825_remove-symantec-virus-definition-files.html