Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Help I have a PC MSI Notebook Wind Top AE2400 All in one (A10)

Customer Question

Help I have a PC MSI Notebook Wind Top AE2400 All in one (A10) PC. It was slow performing and a friend of mine lent me a repair disc for a laptop which I have mistakenly put in to my PC and it has wiped out all of the settings I can't even access the Internet. I have disks especially for the wind top and when I try and install to get them back it wont let me Can you help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

What is the Operating System of this problem PC, is it Windows XP, Vista or 7?
Also, what is the label in the discs that you have there for the Wind top? Is it something like "Re-install disc" or "Driver Disc"?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you it says on one of the disks Windows XP ,Vista 7 Version 22.5.0

The other disc says msi Wind top

Driver and utility

Manual

download website

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joanne,

Thank you for that information. So it appears that the discs that you have there are drivers and utilities.

Now, please tell me the following info:

A. What is the operating system of that computer? Is it Windows XP, Vista or 7? If you do not know, please locate "My Computer" or "Computer" icon in your desktop screen. Right click on it then click on Properties. There you shall see the version of Windows your computer is using.

B. When you load the disc, please go to Start => Computer (Or "My Computer"). Open the CD/DVD drive and please locate a file called Setup or Setup.exe. Do you see such file?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The computer operating system states Windows Vista.

I can see set up when I insert my msi disk

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Alright Joanne, please do this for me:

In the problem computer, click Start => Right click on "Computer" then click on Properties. In the dialog box that opens, click on Device Manager in the left panel. You shall get the Device Manager window.

Another way to get the Device Manager window is to click on Start => Search. In the search box, type: Device Manager then click on the one that is reported or listed.

In the Device Manager window, do you see several items listed with yellow exclamation marks?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do see exclamation marks

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Joanne,

Thank you for that confirmation. This indicates that there are missing drivers in your system causing your hardware components to be "unknown" by Windows Vista, your operating system.

To resolve this issue, you need to use the Driver and Utility disc to install the missing drivers.

Here are the steps:

Load the Driver and Utility disc. Wait for some time for the "autoplay" to open the installation program. When autoplay opens, choose to INSTALL the drivers.

If there is no autoplay happening, please go to Start => Computer and open the CD/DVD drive. Locate the file called SETUP. Double click on it to run the installation for the drivers.

After doing this, you may be prompted to REBOOT or restart the computer several times.

After the installation of all the drivers (and after few restarts), all settings and drivers shall be restored.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond even after you have rated until all issues are resolved.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry its not working! I get an error message stating the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or (64bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher!!!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Joanne,

Please confirm to me your Operating System, you mentioned Vista. Please click Start => Right click on "Computer" then click on Properties.

What is listed there? Is it Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit? Here is my own screen shot showing my Windows 7 64bit:

I will wait for that information, I just need to know the version of your Windows (XP/Vista/7) and the bit version (32bit or 64bit)

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its Windows Vista and its 32 bit this has happened since I put the other disk in from a friend.

( I believe when it was running MSI Notebook that system was windows 7!!) I just want to get back to how it was running before!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Joanne,

It is NOT possible to get the computer back on how it was running before if you do not have a Recovery Disc or a Windows 7 installer to reinstall Windows 7.

However, some "newer" computers are equipped with a hidden recovery partition. That is, the recovery is done NOT using a DVD set that you must have created when your computer was new, but by the recovery partition that is hidden "by design". If your computer is one of these newer computers with hidden recovery partition, please do these steps:
  1. Remove ALL discs from the CD/DVD drive
  2. Restart the computer
  3. When the computer is restarting, press and keep tapping the F3 key to get the System Recovery Screen. If you still have the hidden recovery partition, you shall get the System Recovery screen by pressing F3 when the computer boots. If the disc that messed up your computer removed the hidden partition, then the System Recovery will not be triggered by F3 anymore.
  4. When you are in System Recovery screen, please select the RESET Your PC option and follow the on screen procedures.
  5. Here is a screen shot:

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No that doesn't work, the nearest I get to it is a valid backup location could not be found asks me to attach the backup hard disk or insert the final dvd from a back up set and retry its not working. what are my options please? Thank you

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Joanne,

Did you get the System Recovery screen by pressing F3? Did you choose Reset your PC option?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found it by pressing F3 yes, but it didn't look like your screen shot it was in grey and gave me several options: Start up repair, system restore Windows complete restore I tried this one but it kept asking me for a backup which I don't have

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Joanne,

That is the correct system recovery process and your screen may be different since the screens depend on models of the product.

Please try to select System Restore and see if you can perform a factory reset in this case.

If the problem continues (asking for the backup dvds), your last option is to order a set of recovery disk from the vendor where you bought the computer.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello No I'm sorry its not allowing me to go to Factory restore..I guess its the recovery disks hope they can do something.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Joanne,

Yes, your last option will be the Recovery DVD set. This must have been done when you first used the computer. If you missed the creation of the recovery disc set yourself, then your last option will be the vendor where you bought the computer. They can give you a copy of the recovery dvd set for free since you bought the computer from them, or for free if they keep copies of these recovery dvd sets for their clients.

Thank you for your patience.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Hi Joanne,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Were you able to resolve the issue using recovery discs?

Let me know,

Jess