Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

I have had Skype installed on my PC for around 5 years, but

I have had Skype installed on my PC for around 5 years, but recently the video call toggle does not 'light up' and does not allow me to make outgoing calls. However I can receive incoming calls. How can I recitify this problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Can you please tell me if the the person who you are trying to calls status is set to online?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thinking about it, I have to presume not as his skype 'button' is just the hollow outline.

Colin

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Colin,

If a persons status is not set to Online then the video call button will not be activated.

Check the following:

In the menu bar, click Tools > Options

Under General, select Video Settings. If you have a webcam connected, you should see live video of whatever your webcam is pointed to.

If you do not see this let me know, it means skype is not detecting your webcam.

When video call has like a dull green as apposed to the dark green it almost always means that the problem is with the other person, meaning that they have their status set to offline.

Try clicking on a contact who is listed as online and if you do have the video call option then that is definitley the issue.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Chris,

I have to admit that I did half wonder if that was the problem. I will try your suggestion tomorrow as it is my daughter and her family that we use the Skype for because they live in Australia and of course the time difference prevents me from trying it today.

Colin

Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 years ago.
Colin,

Sounds good, give that a try. Have them set their status to Online or Away, both should offer the video call option.

It is when the status is set to offline or invisible and possibly do not disturb that the option becomes inactive.

If you need further help let me know.

Thanks,
Chris