Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Booting HP Envy dv7 from Win 7 OEM CD.

Customer Question

I have an HP Envy dv7 with Win 8, which I don't like. I've formatted a SATA drive from another laptop, fitted it in the HP, disabled Secure Boot and attempted to boot from the OEM Win 7 I've bought for this 'downgrade', but it only gets as far as 'Starting Windows' before hanging. I've tried the Win 7 CD I bought for the upgrade of my old laptop from Vista, but that doesn't work either. Any ideas?

My original plan was to clone drive C: on my old Dell Win 7 laptop onto the SSD drive I bought to upgrade the HP Envy to SSD, but with Win 7 in place of Win 8. After installation in the HP I then expected to be able to overwrite the existing Win 7 installation with the new OEM version I'd bought for the HP. However, when I experienced this hanging problem when attempting to boot from the new Win 7 CD, I thought it was because Win 8 was installed on the HDD, so I then formatted the no longer required HDD C: from the Dell to place in the HP so a clean install could be attempted, but the result was just the same: hanging at 'Starting Windows', just before the spinning lights form into the window.

Can/do HP prevent the installation of Win 7 on their Win 8 laptops? If so, surely there must be a workaround.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Given that you have an SATA hard drive, you may require a special SATA driver for it, in order for Windows to get past the initial bootup-attempt-to-load-Windows message.

It sounds as if you formatted the SATA hard drive "from another laptop" on another laptop first, before putting it into the HP Envy dv7... is that the case? if so, that could be a mistake, also. Try formatting it in the HP Envy, if at all possible.

This page from HP's support website/forum starts out saying that this model (Envy dv7) won't have Windows 7 drivers released for it unless the model of NB (notebook) is ever issued with Windows 7... but later in the page there are some detailed instructions that may be N/A to your case... since you can't even boot up ... but which might contain something helpful to your case also:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/Drivers-for-Windows-7-Laptop-HP-Envy-dv7-7255er/td-p/2327647
Particularly, there are some links there, to software packages appropriate to this laptop that can be put on Windows 7 once it is installed. Perhaps they can be put on the hard drive you use, when it is booted up on another machine?? once it has Windows 7 installed.

But, I suspect that getting the proper SATA driver configured for the hard disk itself, or just formatting the SATA hard drive on the Envy dv7, might be the real solution, even if it sounds simple.

Is there an objection, such as that the Envy dv7 lacks a CD/DVD disc drive? if so I'll see if I can guide you through that problem also. So let me know the details relevant to the issues I have raised and the advice I've given, and I will try to guide you further through the process to a good conclusion.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, if the problem was any of: the SATA drivers/different machine/formatting then the HP should boot up from CD with the original HDD installed, but it doesn't - same problem, so I think we can eliminate that possibility.

So I followed the link in your response and found the answer:

"1. Go into Bios (Escape and then F10 while booting) and turn on Legacy support.

2. Boot from Windows install disc and proceed with installation to your C drive (in my case, the Intel SSD)."

So far I've only managed to boot from CD with the original HP DDD, now I'll try doing what I wanted to do all along.

So, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you posted as to the results.

Update.

Booted from CD with a clean HDD (couldn't get anywhere with SDD from Dell LT with Win 7 already installed), but now need drivers before Win 7 will install!

Booted from CD with a clean HDD ... but now need drivers before Win 7 will install!

Please tell me the error message you received. I think I know what the problem is - the SATA driver no doubt - but the exact error message will confirm that in some cases.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't recall the exact error message and I've now re-installed the Win 8 HDD because, as far as I've been able to determine, this laptop, the HP ENVY dv7-7332ea Notebook, was only ever released as a Win 8 machine and never as a Win 7, so HP never created Win 7 drivers for it - I've checked. The only possibility is that Samsung have created Win 7 drivers for their Pro 840 series SSD that I have, but it's probably a long shot and I'll be stuck with Win 8. Let's just hope that when MS bring back the Start button they do a lot more to make it comprehensible!

I am guessing from the sound of it that you have Windows 8 RT, the touch-screen version, with the blocky interface.

I suspect that for this problem what you really need is not so much Windows 7 drivers for the notebook, as a driver for the SATA drive itself. What maker and model # of SATA drive do you have Windows 7 installed on (or, are you yet to install Windows 7 on) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Win 7 was cloned from my Dell laptop, along with all apps and data, onto a Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State
Drive. This would not boot in my HP LT and neither could I install a new copy of Win 7 over it as an upgrade (to preserve apps and data) because, as I understand it, the copy of Win 7 on the SDD was more up-to-date, i.e. complete with SP1/SP2 and all updates. Unfortunately, the updates were not cloned, so I can't remove them from the SDD to get back to a position where the new Win 7 WILL install!

I suppose I could try installing Win 7 on a clean SDD in my Dell without any updates, then move it to the new machine where I could try installing Win 7 over it as an upgrade. I wouldn'y get my apps and data across, but I might get Win 7, which is the main objective!

I think I heard you mention that Windows 7's disc/CD/DVD would not boot up in the HP Envy. Did it even try to? if not, then you need to change the BIOS settings, so that the CD/DVD drive on the HP Envy is listed first in the Boot Order.

I was not aware that you 'cloned' the copy of Windows 7 - I thought it was a new install.

Can it even boot up on the Dell? I thought that beyond Windows ME, you could not copy a whole installed disc of Windows to another disc without its becoming non-bootable. You might want to check that this is not the case.