LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

Hi, My pc keeps freezing and I have done all the checks

Customer Question

My pc keeps freezing and I have done all the checks I can think of, updates, check memory and faults on the hard drive. Also cleaned it pretty well. It does not seem to be hot and I have ran a program that seemed to confirm this.

What happens is, the power light is on all the time and the hd light flickers as normal then the hd light goes on all the time and the pc freezes.

It seems to happen randomly playing games, surfing or watching live stream.
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 3 years ago.

LKT :

LKT :

When the computer freezes, does it every unfreeze or does it stay this way til you reboot?

LKT :

What is your computer model?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I have to turn the power off and it reboots fine.

LKT :

Ok, What computer model do you have? Have you installed anything new recently?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

Intel Core i7 2700K

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I reloaded windows when this started happening and have updated everything

LKT :

That is your processor (nice processor by the way) but I need the model, or is this a custom build?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

Number of cores 4 (max 8)
Number of threads 8 (max 16)
Name Intel Core i7 2700K
Codename Sandy Bridge
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz

LKT :

What I am looking for here. Is your computer an ACER, ASUS, Dell, HP?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

it was made by a tech shop, not a standard purchase

LKT :

and does that have a model number?

LKT :

Oh I see.

LKT :

What video card do you have? From the sounds of the freezing point (gaming, video stream) the first thing to do is update your video card drivers.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

gtx 580

LKT :

Have you updated this driver?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I installed newest drivers

LKT :

Have you done a system restore? It may be that windows has given a bad update that is causing this.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

yeah, I restored it but it made no difference, I re-installed windows and updated everything and still random freezes.

LKT :

Ah, and you have swapped out your memory for known good? Its sounding like hardware no as it seems you have did the troubleshooting steps for software.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I am happy to install factory settings, I have nothing on the machine that I am bothered about losing, that is what I did with my old machine if I ever had a problem, but this is more complecated

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

i ran a check on the ram

LKT :

what tool did you use?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

i have had the pc 18 months and no problem, can ram go bad?

LKT :

Yes, often.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

i can't remember exactly, it checked it before booting and then booted and said all ok

LKT :

Ah, ok. You can use memtest86 to check all sectors of the ram, there may be a bad part of the RAM stick that causes the PC to freeze when accessed. This tool checks and runs on the entire memory. Or you can do the manual process of swapping out the RAM one at a time, once the problem goes away you know it was a bad stick and which one. If not, you know its another hardware device and I would look at the video card next.

Here is the link to memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

i am pretty sure that is the check i did, i can do it again and see and get back to you?

LKT :

If that is the test you did there is no need to try again. Did it pass all tests?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

when the pc rebooted it said all is fine (words to the effect) I have to admit I can't remember I have been 'doing stuff' like this for the last week, I think I should do it again and let you know exactly what it says?

LKT :

Sounds good, give that a shot also check your event logs and let me know if you see any errors or warnings at the time of the freezes.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

ok back soon

LKT :

Ok

LKT :

When you have a moment give me an update. Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

It passed 100%

LKT :

LKT :

I see, thats good. Do you have onboard video?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I don't know, what's that

LKT :

Oh, its video thats from the motherboard instead of you video card. Like a VGA, HDMI, or DVI that you can connect to your motherboard.

LKT :

I want to see if you uninstall the video card and use onboard video and if the problem goes away, then we can say its the video card giving the issue. Know what I mean?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

Oh i see, i know what you mean, i don't think so. the mobo is gigabyte z68x-ud3p-b3

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

i do have another pc i can take the video card out of that

LKT :

Oh, yes. Give that a try. If you can just reinstall everything from scratch with the new card. If it doesnt give you issues it's probably a failing video card.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

reinstall everything?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

or just reboot with the new card?

LKT :

Just reboot actually, first.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

ok, I will let you know

LKT :

Ok.

LKT :

If this does not fix the problem. Our next step is to test the CPU by using prime95 which you can get here:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

LKT :

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

The pc crashed with the other graphics card and I the cpu stress test for 12mins and no errors, is that long enough?

LKT :

How long does the computer take to crash?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

an hour or so, so i should run the stress test until it crashes?

LKT :

Thats the point of the test. If you can run it for like hours on end then you know the CPU is stable. However, if it crashes while doing this test then something is wrong with it.

LKT :

Can I have you check if there are any errors in you Device Manager first, just so we don't overlook anything?

LKT :

While running that program run speedfan to monitor your temps, making sure its not getting too hot, which can be another cause of the freezing:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I am not sure what you mean but I have looked in device manager and there are no red marks against anything

LKT :

Any yellow?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

none yellow, all looks good

LKT :

Good, good. Just checking since I hadn't asked.

LKT :

Now run that prime95 while having speedfan open to monitor temps.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

ok, how long are you working for today please?

LKT :

Well, I was off 30 mins ago, but I set my own time. So if you leave a message I'll get back on and assist, no problem.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

ok thanks very much for that and for your help so far, I may not message again today and if I do and you are gone it's no problem, I will talk next time you are on, have a good day

LKT :

You are welcome.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

thanks, cya

LKT :

See you.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

Hi again, one thing I just noticed

LKT :

Whats that?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

it crashed when I was talking to you (hd light on constant) but it didn't cut the chat and the pc froze when I clicked to close the window, does that make any difference?

LKT :

Hmmm. Perhaps. Do you have a spare hdd you can use?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

i have the one in the other pc, that is all. I have thought about buying a external hard drive, if i did would that do?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

the pc is set up on partition or something (?)

LKT :

I want to see if its your hdd giving you the problem. It may just be you have a bad sector and when read it freezes most things, but it seems the data on your RAM is good to use thats why the chat didnt freeze up.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

it has local disk c: and d:

LKT :

I think what you can do is get a livecd/liveusb of ubuntu, boot into it and go alone and do all sort of things like watch video, surf web, email. If your pc does not freeze then its likely the hdd or installation, but since its a new installation its going to be the hdd. The liveusb/cd will use the processor and memory, video card, Everything except the hdd.

LKT :

I think what you can do is get a livecd/liveusb of ubuntu, boot into it and go online and do all sort of things like watch video, surf web, email. If your pc does not freeze then its likely the hdd or installation, but since its a new installation its going to be the hdd. The liveusb/cd will use the processor and memory, video card, Everything except the hdd.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

do you mean since it is not a new installation it is likely the hdd?

LKT :

I meant a new installation of the OS, didn't you install it as new because you were having these problems?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

oh I see (i thought you meant new build), yes I ran the windows disk, I think I re-installed windows completely but I still had the contents of the main hard drive after

LKT :

Oh, interesting. Have you run a virus scan?

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

yes, on fully up to date mcafee, or do you think that might be it?

LKT :

It could be, since your old files still remain, that could mean the virus could have been in there.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I would not be bothered if i lost everything that is on my pc, I have nothing important

LKT :

Ah, well you might want to install windows all over. You know you have done it right if everything is gone like the first time you installed windows. However, in your case you will need all the drivers since this is a custom build. So, it is best for you to download all these drivers first on a USB so that you can update that way.

LKT :

Or you can continue testing. Go into safe mode, do a full virus scan. Also run malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org get the free version. Also, since you are in safe mode, click start>type msconfig> in the startup tab Disable All> in the Services Tab hide all microsoft services then disable the rest. Start the PC back up, test. If it fails again, try the liveusb/cd method I mentioned earlier. A problem like the one you have is very difficult to pinpoint, all we can do is test like we are.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

when I re-installed factory setting on my old pc that is exactly what happened, i wanted to do that with this pc but it was more complicated

LKT :

Yes, it is a bit tougher with a custom build.

JACUSTOMER-mc2c3a96- :

I think I am going to try again to re-install factory settings and then see, but I have finished for today lol. Thanks very much for your help and i will talk to you again

LKT :

You are welcome. Best of luck!

LKT :

If you need to request me here is my link: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/computer/expert-ptorres/

LKT :

Hello, how did everything go?