Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

My BT e-mail account has been hacked, and I cannot send or

Customer Question

My BT e-mail account has been hacked, and I cannot send or receive e-mails. The BT on-line help is hopeless--any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

First, are you accessing your emails via your web browser or via a email program such as Outlook 2010?

And what is the exact message you receive when you try to login to your email account?

thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My e-mail service is accessed through BT Yahoo's web page. At about midday today (Uk time) my contacts received e-mails purporting to be from me saying I was stuck in the Philippines without money, and telephoned me. When I opened my mailbox, everything I had received since March had disappeared (but I later found it in Trash) and my entire Sent box had also disappeared. One contact of mine who replied had a reply from the hacker!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, this is a common problem that is occurring a lot.

We need to act quick, so first, Change your password and security question.

Then tell me please what now happens when you try to send an email.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I changed the password immediately this happened, but not the security question, as the BT instructions didn't suggest that. I've dealt with the bank and other urgent things. I've asked friends to send me e-mails, but they don't come through. Sending doesn't work either, and my i-Pad (the settings of which I changed to the new password) is now showing a message saying the password or username is incorrect.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
ok, the iPad you need to change the password.

But first, what happens when you try to send?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You weren't listening-- I changed the i-Pad password. When I try to send nothing happens, and nothing appears in my Sent box. On the i-Pad there are three of my attempted messages in the outbox.

Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
First, I am working on the Web Interface.

I asked you "are you accessing your emails via your web browser or via a email program such as Outlook 2010?"

And you replied

"My e-mail service is accessed through BT Yahoo's web page"

So what happens when you try to send there.