Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a PB Viseo 190W purchased 12/09. It has recently requested

Customer Question

I have a PB Viseo 190W purchased 12/09. It has recently requested a file check when booting up but always freezes at 17% complete. I then need to switch off, reboot and skip file check.

It will then open and I can use for anything from 10 - 30 minutes when it will freeze again and I need to reboot.

I have insurance on the product with PC World and they advised the various repair routines. They made no difference. I think I need to reinstall the Operating System CD. I know this will remove all files but I have saved a few to a separate hard drive.

However, after nearly 4 years and an office move I can't find the CD. What is the cheapest and most effective way of getting a reinstallation disc or download? I am retired and don't want to spend too much.

I have an operating system CD "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2" for a Dell laptop - can I use that in the Packard Bell?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nigel
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

Before doing this, can we try one thing to get the computer fixed?

Let me know, else I can recommend to you where you can get the disk from.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we can try one more thing

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Nigel

To confirm, are you running Windows 7, Vista or XP?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Nigel

Do the following please

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than tell me if it still froze on the startup (remember this can take up to an hour to run so give it time please)

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Richard. The problem is on another PC so can I simply ask it to download CC Cleaner as you suggest above?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes, no problem at all

On the other computer go to

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

To download it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Will let you know, Nigel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Nigel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Problem.

Downloaded the hippo file and ran it. After a few moments message appears:

"windows has been shut down to prevent damage...... KERNEL - DATA - INPAGE - ERROR"

And the PC shut down. Over to you.

Nigel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks,

Skip this step and proceed please Nigel

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So reboot, start again and download file or

Reboot and go to Click Start/All Programs/accessories ...... ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Reboot, then Click Start/All Programs/accessories ect

And continue with those steps please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

O dear. Still a problem. A box has been appearing for a few days that says in top LH corner: Run DLL

Message in box says: "Starting C:\Windows\System 32\NvCpl.dll The specified module could not be found"

I have closed this box and moved on in the past but I see that many of the words are repeated in the black box you have asked me to open.

Problem now:

Black box appears and I type in code as instructed. It starts to run but stops (did this 3 times) when "verification 11% complete". The black box disappears and we return to the purple screen which starts with the message "Windows has been shut down.......KERNEL - DATA - INPAGE - ERROR"

Help!

Nigel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, you do need to reinstall Windows Nigel, this confirms it.

We will first see if you need the disk, as windows is sometimes loaded on the computer in a hidden partition.

Turn off the computer.

Turn the computer on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager.

Tell me if you can get to this please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I get recovery manager by tapping F8. F11 only offers a normal open windows option. So have got to screen that offers:

Repair your computer

Safe mode

Safe mode with netwrorking

Safe mode with command prompt

Enable Boot logging

Enable low-resolution video

Last known good configuration (advanced)

Directory Services Restore Mode

Debugging mode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Disable driver signature reinforcement

Start windows normally

What should I do?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Choose Repair your computer

Then run through the process of performing the repair.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got this far before I contacted you. I get three instructions:

Insert your windows installation disc and restart

Choose language setting and click "next"

Click "repair your computer".

But as you know I don't have the disc.

Nigel

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then we have confirmed Nigel, you need the disk to do the repair to fix the computer.

The cheapest I found it for is 30 pounds from here

Click Me To View

This is actually a really good price. Once you have it, you can then use the disk to repair windows so it continues to work normally again.

Don't worry though, I have marked this question to never close, so you can return here when you have the disk, and let me know if you have any problems at all. There is no time limit on this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.