Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

Several friends have texted or phoned to see if Im all right

Customer Question

Several friends have texted or phoned to see if I'm all right - a hacker has sent messages to my contacts saying I've been mugged in Spain - can I get my list back? So I have to change my address and password?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

Customer:

Hi, My name is Randy.

I am sorry to hear this happened, I will do my best to help you with this. Please follow these steps> Change your password. Immediately change your e-mail account's password. If you're using Gmail, choose Mail Settings, Accounts and Imports, and then Change Password. If you're on Hotmail, go to More Options, Account Details.

Verify the recovery address. This is where your e-mail provider sends your password XXXXX information, and if the bad guy has changed this setting, then he can request a password XXXXX and immediately reclaim your account. Make sure the recovery address is set to an e-mail address you know and check. In Gmail, it's Mail Settings, Accounts and Imports, Change Password XXXXX Options. In Hotmail, click More Options, Account Details.

Change your password XXXXX. You might not think about this very often, but the hints can help someone suss out your password. Review them and make sure they're oblique enough that only you know what they mean. In Gmail, you can find this at Mail Settings, Accounts and Imports, Change Password XXXXX Options. In Hotmail, go to More Options, Account Details.
Change other passwords. Finally, don't forget that once your mail has been compromised, all sorts of other accounts are at risk as a result. As quickly as you can, be sure to change the password XXXXX other e-mail, financial, and personal accounts. And of course, never use the same password XXXXX more than one e-mail or financial institution account.

.

.

<> you may need to contact everyone spammed by your hacked e-mail. (Your scam-savvy friends will recognize bogus messages as spam.) But, if there is a personal appeal for money -- saying you're stuck traveling and need cash, or are hurt and in a hospital -- or if malware was attached, you should send word to your contact list to delete those messages ASAP.