Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a new PC which I did not put a password XXXXX but I cannot

Customer Question

I have a new PC which I did not put a password XXXXX but I cannot get it to work because it is asking for my live.com password XXXXX it won't accept the password XXXXX opens my email account
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To clarify, this is the first time you have started the computer?

If not, when were you last able to log into the computer?

And which version of windows are you running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought it on Thursday and set it up checked it was ok by logging into my email and my bank then switched it off. I use windows 8

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
how long is your password for the email account?

How many characters is it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10 including one number

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, what can happen is the Keyboard Layout can be changed by Windows, so while you think you are entering in the correct password, as the Keyboard layout has changed, it is typing in another letter / number instead of the one you intend to.

Can you do the following please at the login screen

Use your mouse to choose onscreen keyboard, on the right hand side botton corner of your screen, there will be the word ENG, click there, and you will be allowed to change to the keyboard of your choice. Set this to what you originally set the Keyboard layout to be eg: English UK.

Save this, enter in your password and tell me if it is now accepted please Ron.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot do this as the screen now is completely blank except for my name,email address and a space for a password

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
ok, then we are going to need to do a windows reinstall, it is the only way to reset the password.

This will not touch your data Ron.

To do this, please turn off the computer

Hold the right Shift button down, turn on the computer and with Shift held down, keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

When you do, choose Troubleshoot.

Then choose Refresh your PC.

Complete this, and you can then create the account again and set a password (you need to do this).

The computer will then be usable again.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome Ron,

Once you have done this, Windows is as new, but you still have your data on it, so you will be ok.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.